What would happen to my coins if SatoshiLabs (Trezor Company) went out of business?

There are no such plans because we are here to support the community and advance the use of Bitcoin. In the unlikely event that we had to close down, users would have nothing to worry about.

Trezor wallets are fully compatible with other BIP32, BIP39 and BIP44 compatible wallets. These are open standards which anyone can use to recover their coins as long as documentation exists.

Since our code is open-source and publicly available, developers from around the world can maintain it and add new functionalities even if the SatoshiLabs team are no longer available. In extreme cases (although this is not recommended), it is possible to use the recovery seed to recover your funds in one of many different wallets as well - even a hot wallet on a phone or computer.

More about security threats: Security threats

List of some compatible apps: Compatible apps

2 Likes

HI, does anyone know what happens if Trezor vanishes or disapears, for example if they go bankrupt?
I understand that we would still be able to access the crypto that is in the wallet, but if we lose the wallet we would not be able to recover the crypto with the 24 words…is this correct?

Thank you in advance

Hi @Carlos333,

First, the crypto you own isn’t stored in the Trezor wallet, it’s stored in the blockchain.

If you lose or damage your Trezor device, you can restore your funds at any time with a new Trezor. If SatoshiLabs go out of business and you cannot restore your wallet with a Trezor, because you can’t buy it anymore, then any other type of hardware wallet which supports the same coin(s) will be able to restore your funds. All this is dependent on that you have your private seed and any passphrase, if you used that.

Basically, so long as you have your private seed (and Passphrase, if used) then your funds are safe in the blockchain(s) and recoverable at any time.

2 Likes

Thank you so much, I thought that in order to recover your funds if you lost your Trezor you had to get in touch with the company and give them the private seed.
My last question is then, if you do not give the seed to the company because it no longer exists, where do you go or who do you turn to, to use the private seed and recover your funds?
Thank you so much!

@Carlos333

If your Trezor hardware wallet is lost, stolen or damaged but you have the recovery seed backed up securely, your funds can easily be recovered to any other BIP39-compatible wallet. Most mobile, desktop and hardware wallets use BIP39 standard for recovery, meaning most products will work for this.

Before restoring your wallet, make sure to check that the new wallet is from a legitimate source and there are no major security risks. Generally, it is best to restore your funds to a device that is not capable of connecting to the internet, so it is best to use another hardware wallet. Do not panic as rushing this process could result in loss of funds due to using a malicious app or other security oversights.

Recovering a wallet seed using a new Trezor hardware wallet is a straightforward and secure process. Once you select how many words the seed uses, you will enter your recovery seed directly on the device if using a Trezor Model T. With a Trezor Model One the process requires you to enter words using your computer in a random order to protect from keyloggers.

2 Likes

I’ll just want to add one thing to what MichalZ said above.

You never have to give out your seed to any company or person. They don’t need to have your seed to be able to help you. This is important. Always keep your seed private and safe! If your seed is given to a 3rd party, (s)he/they can steal your funds easily.

When you create a new seed, or recover a wallet with an old seed, you don’t give your seed to the company that made your hardware wallet, it’s only registered in the wallet itself and therefore only you and the wallet know what the seed is.

3 Likes

Thank you so, so much!

1 Like

Hi,

I notice that the Trezor wallet requires trezor servers or backend to work. Does that mean the wallet does not work if your company is gone (just in case)? I’d prefer a cold wallet works w/ or w/o the vendor.

Thanks.

1 Like

Heii @jass

You can pair your Trezor with any wallet that is compatible with the standards.

If you want to use Trezor wallets/services like Suite you can also have the possibility of running your own backend.

One thing is Trezor and its services the other is Trezor the signing device actual hardware device itself.

The Trezor signing device/hardware wallet is compatible with a whole lot of other industry standards.

You can choose how to use and with what to pair your device.

Ps: if the company goes, like you say, your funds are on each respective blockchain.

:+1:

1 Like

Hi there.

Maybe this is a numb question, but if I create a passphrase and for some reason Trezor end your services, where can I use my wallet with the passphrase activated? I don’t think I can do that on Ledger, for example. Am I right?

1 Like

you can use your passphrase on ledger . ledger support it.

2 Likes

{New User} What happens to my HIDDEN wallet access if Trezor goes bankrupt or experiences an unlikely black swan event? Since hidden wallet access requires a paraphrase that I assume would no longer have a mode of access without Trezor software, is it better to keep crypto in the standard wallet that can be accessed with a simple recovery phrase on any suitable device. Thanks for support.

2 Likes

@ASLIII54 your answer is on this thread.

Coins are on there respective blockchains nothing to do with trezor.

As long as you have your seed/recovery words and passphrase you can always recover your funds in any compatible wallet

What is the way to recover a wallet that was set up using Trezor Suite and Trezor One with 24 words seed and passphrase on a software client?
I mean a situation when you don’t have an access to hardware Trezor.
What software wallets can be used in such situation? I can’t imagine that only with hardware Trezor you can recover such wallet.

thanks.

1 Like

I forgot to add that the wallet is not bitcoin but it’s holding ethereum erc-20 tokens.

I’m aware that with BTC there are many options.

1 Like

Hi @dope,

See the first post in this thread.

1 Like

thanks.
Thought that may be people share their experiences in this field. In theory it is possible of course. Not sure which desktop wallets support 24 words+passphrase and erc-20 tokens.
Can you point me in any direction?
Exodus for example supports only 12 words.

1 Like

I haven’t had that problem and use only Trezor Model T myself. Can’t remember any other wallets with your specifications from the top of my head now, but do your own research with Google and I bet you’ll find several candidates within an hour.

2 Likes

I prepare for option of crossing border with no electronics on me/eastern europe problems/.
I think mycrypto wallet is a good candidate…have to make sure if it support 24 words but since it is a standard I assume that it does.

thx!

2 Likes