Scam airdrop tokens appearing in your wallet

These so called airdrops happen frequently. However, most of the time they are scammers attempting to phish your account information. While it is true that sometimes airdrops are legitimate and can be useful, it is important to do research on these tokens to understand what is real and what is just another relentless scammer.

A good rule of thumb is that if the token appears as a website address its a scam.

The scam attempts to get you to visit the site and connect your wallet where they can then gain access to your account and steal your funds.

It is all under the guise that you have tokens worth a lot of money therefore, of course you want to sell them and get the money from a free airdropped token.

However, since there is no other way to send the tokens to an exchange or wherever else it needs to stay where it is.

These tokens are visible in your wallet but stored on the blockchain, so they cannot do any real harm.

In the future, we will introduce the possibility to sort and favorite tokens soon, so you should be able to move it to the end of your token list so you do not have to see it.

8 Likes

We need a way to hide spam tokens that have been airdropped into the eth wallet. They are dangerous and I do not want to see them. In metmask you can hide the token but on the trezor it’s impossible.

2 Likes

Thank you for your feedback @Cartman
This feature is already in the pipeline.

1 Like

There are a lot of airdrop scams out there. Today, out of nowhere, I received 250,000 Akswap tokens sent to my ETH address.

I was not expecting them. After some quick searching, I found others received the same and found it to be a scam.

The scammers try to get you to link your wallet to their website to transact with the tokens. They get you to do so because no other exchange takes these tokens. They clearly want your wallet information so you they can turn around and drain your funds.

I did not interact with their website. I did not connect my wallet. I do not want the tokens.

Is anyone aware how we can get these unwanted tokens out of our Trezor wallet?

Is there a potential risk to keeping them (even if it’s unwillingly)?

2 Likes

Thank you for reporting this, so other Trezor users will be aware of the scam too.

If you want to get rid of the Akswap tokens - I guess they’re on the ERC-20 Ethereum network, since you can see them in your Trezor - then just send them to a software wallet or exchange, where you already have an account, but you can also just let them be where they are now. Then you avoid send fees too.

They’re in the blockchain, not in your Trezor, and can’t do any harm there. The possible harm was the one you avoided, by not taking the bait and make an account on their site.

1 Like

Hi,

this is quite interesting. Since there is no other way to send the tokens to an exchange or wherever else it needs to stay where it is. As @Petosiris mentioned, These tokens are visible in your wallet but stored in the blockchain, so they can’t do any real damage. We will introduce a possibility to sort and favourite the tokens soon, so you should be able to move it to the end of your token list.

2 Likes

Thank you for the reply, @kolin & @Petosiris!

They’re relentless scammers. Out of caution, I moved some of my coins from the wallet they airdropped to. One day later, I find they airdropped me another 250K coins to the wallet I just moved to.

Glad the tokens aren’t doing any harm in the wallet, as I expect these scammers won’t let up if I keep trying to hide.

1 Like

i connected to my Trezor and noticed under my ETH Tokens that there is something called a68.net. What is this?? Please advise.

hi @dradrok
If you are not aware of anyone sending you these tokens they were most probably airdropped to your wallet as scam tokens.

Please note that there’s no threat related to receiving scam tokens, it’s okay just to ignore it.
These tokens are visible in your wallet but stored in the blockchain, so they can’t do any real damage.
Do not transfer them or try to swap them.

Also, Trezor Suite’s feature for hiding scam airdrop tokens is already in our pipeline however now I can’t give you any ETA when it will be implemented.

4 Likes

Thank you, i just figured this out… it is a scam, obviously. Just confused me for a bit. Appreciate the reply.

no worries you are welcome :wink:

Scam tokens being randomly airdropped is becoming quite common way of phishing these days…
Just for the record: In following tweet it is described how this particular one works:

2 Likes

Hi guys/girls,
Today I saw new token in my Eth token list, but it is strange. Maybe phishing attempt. Can you give me the advice what to do? Is my other token safe? Thank you.

1 Like

Hi, @saibosfds,

I don’t know if this “Otherside beta access” airdrop is a scam, but since the link is to a site then it probably is. Please read this thread from the beginning for more information.

Any ETA on this feature? Scam tokens have become particularly bad the past couple of months and it’s increasingly harder to see only the tokens I want to.

Another issue is legitimate tokens which one have only dust amounts of. It would be nice to be able to hide them as well.

Please help: i got a token i dont recognize, in my eth wallet, now, I could not use my own token, as it says the funds are insufficient…for anyone’s kind assistance please.

I could not even move my token to my trezor’s hidden wallet

these tokens do not prevent you from movinģ other tokens at all… remember, when you want to transfer ERC20 tokens you need ETH on your address to pay the fee.

That is most likely your issue.

Hi, last time I have checked my Trezor I have found an unknown transaction into my Ethereum wallet. There ist an amount of around 750 RIFTDAO tokens in my Ethereum wallet. There is no balance/value next to the amount of tokens. Also I have only generated 4 tokens in my ETH wallet, but on the Ethereum account it shows that there are 5 tokens in my wallet.
How ist that possible and how can I get this solved, meaning how do I get rid of this transaction and token in my wallet? I did not touch the token. I can see the transaction (day, time and amount) on the Ethereum transaction history in Trezor, just like a regular transaction.
Appreciate any helpful advise. Thank you.

Thank you @Petosiris for moving my topic to the right place.
Thank you @forgi and support for clearing this issue up for me. Looking forward to the possibilty of moving such scam coin airdrops (now I know, since it does show up as a website adress…) out of my wallet - if only hiding it, to not accidently click on it aso.
Thank you very much.

1 Like