Announcement on ETH merge

As the outcome of the Merge fork is uncertain; we have no imminent plan to support ETHW. However, we will evaluate the situation based on the community’s reaction after the merge. Follow us for more updates.

All devices will still be supported.

2 Likes

I would have thought that it was best to support ETHW on Trezor so that Trezor users don’t unfairly miss out on any airdrop of ETHW. Once Trezor evaluates the situation after the merge, will Trezor be able to react quickly to allow users to receive ETHW retroactively ?

See the post directly above yours, @DCA. It answers your question.

What are these ethereum addresses suddenly appearing on Trezor about? How did they appear? Are they a security risk? How can they be removed?

What do you mean by “these ethereum addresses suddenly appearing”, @Anarcho?
I think you may mean tokens that are airdropped into your wallet? If so, read this:

So how do I remove them? I’d like to get rid of them. I clicked on one of them and they brought me to the site. I left immediately. Is my wallet compromised?

@Anarcho please read the the link carefully

It explains very well.

Your wallet is not compromised
You cannot remove these airdrop tokens and I wouldn’t advise opening links associated.

So as long as I don’t click again my tokens and coins are safe?

Yes @Anarcho that is correct.

Your private keys are stored in your trezor

The tokens are on the blockchain, Even if they show up in your wallet.
Just ignore them

If you really get annoyed to see these airdrop tokens on your wallet what you can do is move/transfer your tokens to a new wallet.

:+1:

Thank you so much. You have been so helpful.

@forgi With regard to your replay attack warning, the announcement says: “…it expose users to replay attacks on both of these chains.”

For the less technical amongst us, please can you confirm if this is meaning that spending the ETHW (via the MetaMask interface) on the PoW chain will also put my ETH coins, on the PoS chain, at risk of a replay attack?

Thank you.

This was great. Thanks @forgi

@forgi Would I be right in thinking that if you:

1/ Move the all of the ETH coins to a new wallet (resulting in a wallet balance of 0 ETH) and then
2/ Spend/transfer the ETHW coins

Then there isn’t a risk of a replay attack causing disruption because the ETH wallet has a balance of 0 ETH and so any attempted replay attack would fail?

Thanks

@seven Hi, sorry I have to correct my previous post.

This attack cannot endanger your POS coins because ETH POS simply uses a different chain ID. It can only replay transactions on BTC smart cash testnet.

Also, it is a bit more complicated and ETH community is saying it is not even an actual replay attack:

2 Likes

To clarify the above: The Omni Bridge issue is not an issue of ETHW, but it does strongly affect ETHW users. Is very likely that a lot of other smart contracts have a similar flaw.
Basically, until proven otherwise, if you interact with a smart contract on ETHW, the same interaction might get replayed to ETH and vice versa.

The ETHW replay issue only happens between ETHW and Bitcoin Smart Cash Testnet. This will typically not hurt you if you only use ETHW – but if you used the Bitcoin Smart Cash Testnet in the past, your old transactions could endanger your ETHW account.

And yes, if you empty your ETH account (or the ETHW one), you do not need to worry about replays.

4 Likes

Do you recommend us, who have “old” (PoW) ETHs now, to exchange it for new (PoS) ETHs to avoid any potential complications in the future? I know all these ETHs are in the same Ethereum blockchain, but I was thinking about storing new ETH in another account in Trezor and let the old ones be where they are but that’ll make troubles with subtracting fees when I buy more ETH. Also, the tokens I have in the old account would needed to be moved to the new account.

I’m not recommending anything :woman_shrugging:
If you want to be super safe, keep hodling until people more knowledgeable in the Ethereum ecosystem provide guidance.

What can I do? transaction is pending

1 Like

same thing happened to me. I sent my ETHW from Binance to my Trezor ETH wallet.
The transaction is complete in Binance, but never recieved on my Trezor.
Have you figured it out ?

follow this topic: