(User Mistake) Suite falsely claims 'this hidden wallet is empty'!

@matejcik I’ve just checked my ETH address in my Trezor and it’s completely empty on the Etherscan.

I also checked the Metamask ETH address I’ve been using to send ETH to my Trezor, I’ve put it in the Etherscan and luckily the coins are there! phew… massive relief!

(I assume that I share the same Metamask address with the Trezor ETH address that I use for unsupported coins)

But the conundrum is, and this is what really adds another layer of weird to it all, I’ve got my seed phrase written down and I’m using exactly the same seedphrase that I always used in the past!.. how can this be? Do you think Windows could be to blame?

If I really can’t find a solution, can this be brute forced / hacked? I have seed/PIN/passphrase written down, so this should help in cracking it? I can see online there’s companies helping people to hack seedphrases.

As @My1 mentioned there could be a chance that I’m not in the right wallet after I entered the seed? mind you, I had this issue already before I entered the seed and i’ve not used a standard wallet. Every single time it claims ‘no transaction history’

Saadya also mentioned that changing the firmware should be a very last resort as it’s tricky and much could go wrong. The problem is all this began happening after I upgraded, so I’m not sure. Then again, apparently it’s not possible to downgrade ver 1.12.1 ! not sure if I can downgrade ver.2.6.0 ?

1 Like

I’m sure that it’s not the seed there’s a problem with as the empty hidden wallet and the no transaction issue was there before I entered the seed and reset the wallet.

As I mentioned to @matejcik , the strangest thing is that the passphrase is the same as I always used in the past, it’s written down.

I don’t know what I can do…

1 Like

It simply is your Trezor address. It does not matter what app you use to look at it, it comes from your Trezor because you paired your Trezor with Metamask.

This is what we have been saying all along and yes, it is the issue. Wrong (different) passphrase>wrong wallet.

Have you ever done any outgoing transactions from your wallet? Or you just sent coins there once and left them there? Because if it is so, then it is even more likely it is wrong, only correct passphrase lets you make an outgoing transaction.

1.12.1 is FW for Trezor Model One, 2.6.0 is for Model T, you are mixing it up.

2 Likes

I think we may have a massive breakthrough

are all your assets in ETH and tokens on the ETH chain or other ETH networks and all on that address?

maybe you could tell us what kind of coins/tokens you have (roughly), note that it just matters what kinds there are, not how much.

equally do you have any record of the addresses you have stored your coins in (just yes or no, we do NOT want the actual address)

you can check on the blockchain(s) of them whether your coins are still there.

because one SEVERE usability problem Metamask has is that you are forced to create a software wallet, and it seems a semi-common problem that the Metamask software wallet is used accidentially when you actually want to use your hardware wallet (which is why it is also uber important to verify the address against the trezor display.

well generally speaking without any helping things you couldnt just crack them or people would do it left right and center, and the coins wouldnt be secure in the first place.

having an existing seed phrase and passphrase that dont work can be a huge help provided the coins are actually on there in the first place.

2 Likes

well the crackpoint is that it actually doesnt necessarily. with metamask you always create a software wallet and it feels way too easy to use that instead of the hardware wallet at least last time I checked, which is why I think rabby (a fork) is much better as it skips that when you wanna go hw)

2 Likes

more in regards to metamask

This is how your metamask may look but with your life savings on, if you actually did connect your trezor and you click on “account 1” you would see this:

now the fun part is that there’s as said a decent chance that your coins arent even on the Trezor in the first place.

Note: all accounts shown use bullshit addresses coming from bullshit seeds I use for testing with no value.

1 Like

@forgi-test1 Yet, the weird thing is, as I mentioned before, this issue was already there before I ever entered the seed! then again I tried both passphrase’s on the same seed with no luck.

Surely a seed is not linked to any specific wallet? Say if I deleted both wallets and switched the seeds, then my Trezor One would become my Trezor Model T according to their individual funds etc

I have sent coins out of the Trezor to my exchange yes.

That’s actually what I said, the firmware of Model one is 1.12.1 and T is 2.6.0 no mixing.

1 Like

@My1 Unfortunately both wallets have ERC20 tokens, say one has BTC, ADA, XRP, MATIC etc the other ETH, AAVE, GLMR etc it’s all a bit mixed… but yes the BTC & ETH are in separate wallets.

I’ve retrieved all my transactions from my exchange so I could check them all in the etherscan / btcscan etc. I did check the Trezor ETH address that I share with my metamask and it seems like my coins are there. It doesn’t show the GLMR and a couple of other ones but maybe I need to import them again into the Metamask I’m not sure.

The BTC I transferred from my exchange in June this year, did show up in a standard wallet and I was able to send them back to my exchange. When I tried to do the same with my ETH (through my metamask) it didn’t allow it. It claimed ‘transaction error, wrong address!’ which is weird as I used the correct exchange ETH address with the correct Trezor ETH address! but maybe that is because it’s in the hidden wallet?

How do you mean that my coins might not be on my Trezor, do you mean they’re on my Metamask? But then I should have been able to transfer the ETH to my exchange no?

Do you also think I should delete and reset my wallet switching up the 2 seeds? As I mentioned to @forgi the issue was already there before I ever reset any wallet or used my seed. Thanks!

1 Like

Then simply try to make a small transaction from Metmask where you see the coins, if you can then it is your metamask separate address.

But the fact that you are also missing BTC implies it is actually your Trezor address.

No the seed is not tied to a specific device.

3 Likes

Yes, but you said you have already tried that, if not then do so. We have mantiend several times that it is a seed mixup because you have more seeds.

1 Like

Ok, I will try but as said, I’ve tried both passphrase’s on the same wallet so I’m not sure If I understand why it would be useful to switch the seeds… especially as the issue was there before the first occasion that I rebooted the wallet. But sure I can try by all means

1 Like

are you saying it showed up now? and you did send it from your Trezor?

Did you also look at the standard wallet it Metamask to look for other coins?

1 Like

I’ll do whatever it takes to access my wallet again. But no I haven’t said that I switched the seeds, only that I reset my wallet with the same seed

1 Like

at least for metamask you are forced to make (or import) a software wallet with its own phrase at the beginning, before you can even connect your Trezor. That is a pure software wallet, I have no idea why they do this but it’s dumb.

now if you copied the address for the metamask software wallet instead of the one for the Trezor, your ETH and related coins would go to that instead of to your hardware wallet-backed address, which obviously is not what most ppl with a hw wallet want.

2 Likes

you still have old bitcoin addresses from the wallet?

are you capable of making a bootable OS medium and running that?

because that could be an option.

get a Linux like for example Tails, burn it onto a CD (you can use a USB stick too but a CD cannot be written to later) and take a computer which DOESNT have network access (if you wanna be real sure it doesnt do dumb stuff also take out the harddrive)

Then just boot the linux live system (considering we have no writable media all will now happen only in RAM and therefore be dead once the computer loses power)

then via a USB stick or whatever transfer a copy of the ian coleman tool (I cant post links sry) to the home of your Live-booted Linux), and remove the usb stick (call me paranoid but at this stage it’s better safe than sorry)

with with this fully isolated computer you can comparatively quickly try out your seeds and passphrases and variations thereof.

if that was too quick I can maybe make it a bit more comprehensive.

2 Likes

Oh wow… ok, sounds like something beyond my capacity to be honest. Unfortunately I’m not very computer savvy. But I might be able to do it with the assistance of a more savvy friend. Yes, if you don’t mind sending me a more comprehensive guide, that would be hugely helpful! Thank you!

I thought of connecting my Trezor to my friends computer, I think he has an older Windows. Do you think this too risky, in case it has a virus? mind you, I’m tapping in my PIN on my hardware wallet so it’s probably safe to try?

I will also try to find my BTC address, put it in the BTCScan and see if my coins are there…

The thing about my Metamask address is bizarre. So it could be that my ETH isn’t even connected to my Trezor wallet but sits in my Metamask?.. if so why is that I cannot send the ETH from my Metamask to my exchange? It claims that it’s the wrong address (I’m not sure which one they mean if it’s the receiving address or the one I’m sending from)

To conclude, I’m still using the same written down Passphrase… and I can’t access my coins. At least they seem to be there on the blockchain, but if I can’t access them, it’s pretty much the same as having lost them, don’t you think? This is something I cannot accept because there’s too much at stake. So I must find a solution

Your input is very helpful by the way, many thanks

1 Like

Becasue it is your Trezor address and you are connected to the wrong one because of wrong passphrase/seed as mentioned many times.

1 Like

@CryptoSOS also, please note that you have contacted our support with the exact same issue one year ago, and it has been resolved.

1 Like

@forgi-test1 Ok, but according to @My1 the situation about the address isn’t that simple!..

Yes, I had a similar situation a year ago but that doesn’t invalidate this situation.

The reason for that is the simple fact that back then I also entered the correct seed phrase yet Suite claimed that the wallet was empty (even though all the coins were selected etc) after some attempts suddenly the wallet surfaced!.. I still don’t have an explanation for this. This time around it doesn’t seem to want to surface. Even though I’m using the correct passphrase etc. I’m pretty certain it’s a hardware or software error from Suite or Windows or both.
Going back to an older question from you if I see my coins or not, the answer is no I don’t! I saw only a small BTC transfer I made this June but that must have been to a standard wallet. Otherwise I wouldn’t have seen it, obviously. So no I can’t see the coins in my hidden wallets.

1 Like

Metamask is a special case. If you didn’t use other applications “with your trezor” for other coins, then there’s no reason they shouldn’t appear in your wallet if you are correct.

The annoying points are to find out whether your seed is correct and your passphrase is correct, obviously enough. And if the normal wallet has been unused that gets absolutely annoying, as you cannot check the seed independently.

I don’t know how long you studied your wallet before transferring your life savings onto a passphrase wallet but contrary to everyone and their grandma just recommending passphrase right off the bat, I’d say one REALLY should get used to handling crypto and the passphrase with a small amount, because passphrases really are a thing that can go wrong easily, just like now and obviously losing your life savings isn’t great.

The fact you see the transfer from june thobis a good sign about that seed.

Regarding passphrase, one thing i don’t think we asked/mentioned so far is that aside from letters and numbers there’s also punctuation, most notably spaces, did you check if anything may have been missed in that area.

2 Likes