Trezor One and Exodus + Metamask

Quick question: in theory let’s say I would lose my Trezor, but I’ve got a seeds for Trezor and Metamask (I don’t know exactly how it works for Exodus).

So “Trezor seeds” and “Metamask seeds” are enough to recover this in a software wallet and transfer it to new Trezor?

or if I would like to change device (notebook) and configure it again? metamask has to be restored with the same seed like on previous device to make it work on new device with Trezor?

I’ve got a Trezor and linked it with Metamask. Let’s say my Trezor has broken or has been stolen.

1. I’m able to restore my metamask account linked with Trezor just using a metamask to quick access wallet without Trezor and transfer funds to new Trezor/software wallet?
  2. How about Exodus wallet linked with Trezor? Is it the same? If my Trezor has been stolen, then I can use just Exodus app to restore wallet without Trezor?
  • I know restoring seeds from hardware wallet isn’t safe and might lead to compromise seeds, but in that case fast actions would be needed like quick connect wallet and transfer funds somewhere else.

Hi @dgv,

It’s important to hold Trezor’s Recovery seed and MetaMask’s seed separate and not use the same seed in both places. Write everything down on to separate pieces of paper and store them in a safe place.

Note that you only need to remember/write down MetaMask’s seed and password if you use any native account in MetaMask. If you only use MetaMask to connect to your Trezor’s account(s), then you can install MetaMask without the need to recover your earlier account(s) on MetaMask.

I do this myself. I only use MetaMask to connect to Trezor and never use any native accounts in MetaMask, so I don’t need to recover MetaMask either, in case I want to reinstall MetaMask.

So you only need MetaMask’s seed and password if you use any MetaMask native accounts.

So “Trezor seeds” and “Metamask seeds” are enough to recover this in a software wallet and transfer it to new Trezor?

Yes, but you’ll also need any Passphrase for Hidden wallet(s) in Trezor, if used, and the password for MetaMask. Don’t mix these either and do not use a Hidden wallet’s Passphrase as password in MetaMask, or vice versa. Also see what I wrote above.

or if I would like to change device (notebook) and configure it again?

As for MetaMask, you’d need MetaMask’s seed and password to set it up again in a browser on a new notebook. As for Trezor, you don’t need your Recovery seed to set it up in MetaMask again, just connect it to MetaMask in the new browser and you’re ready. Trezor’s Recovery seed (and any Passhrase, if used) is only necessary to use if you lose or damage your Trezor device.

metamask has to be restored with the same seed like on previous device to make it work on new device with Trezor?

No, MetaMask operates independently from Trezor so you don’t need to set up MetaMask with the same seed as before to connect with a new Trezor device. See above.

Not sure I understand what you mean here, but you’d need to connect your Trezor device to MetaMask before you can transfer funds to it. If you set up a new (Hidden) wallet in Trezor, then just connect it to MetaMask in the same way as you connected your Standard wallet.

I don’t use Exodus but I think it’s the same, yes. You have to go to Exodus and read about it.

If my Trezor has been stolen, then I can use just Exodus app to restore wallet without Trezor?

No. Exodus and Trezor are separate, just as with MetaMask and Trezor. If your Trezor has been stolen you’d need a new hardware device and use your Recovery seed for your stolen Trezor to set up the new hardware device (Trezor or any compatible wallet). After that, just connect it to your new device.

Again, not sure what you mean here. It’s not possible to restore the seed, or extract it, from a hardware wallet. If you don’t have the seed you’re out of luck.

1 Like

By ‘restoring seeds from hardware wallet’ I meant put them into software wallet.
So the question is:
if my Trezor will be stolen, then I can quickly put a seed to some software wallet and transfer funds to another wallet?
or imagine that Trezor will do not exists in future, so I can’t order new hardware wallet from Trezor so I want to use software wallet to transfer funds somewhere else if my Trezor is damaged

if my Trezor will be stolen, then I can quickly put a seed to some software wallet and transfer funds to another wallet?

I guess so, you’d then mirror your Trezor wallet in the software wallet and have full access to the funds in the blockchain. This is also why one should never use the same seed in both Trezor and any software wallet. It’s a huge security risk.

If you do this anyway, you should be quick and empty your wallet and transfer the funds to another wallet ASAP, before anyone who finds your Trezor get access to your funds first. The only thing that stops anyone to access your funds then is your device’s PIN code, if used, and/or your Passphrase, if you use a Hidden wallet.

You can restore your wallet in any compatible wallet, it doesn’t have to be a Trezor.

2 Likes

Alright, everything is clear. Thanks for answer.

1 Like