The desktop app does not connect while the web interface works fine

After I input my PIN, the desktop app never display my balance. However, if I choose to connect via “Trezor Suite for Web”, it works immediately.
What’s the problem?
My firmware version is 1.11.1 (I see the newest version is 1.11.2). I am not sure if that’s reason.

Another related question, since my recovery feeds are backed up somewhere else (not with me), I am hesitating to upgrade the firmware. If I do upgrade the firmware from 1.11.1 to the newest, do I always need to use the recovery feeds to recover my account? or it is needed only if things went wrong?

1 Like

Hi @xzhang,

After I input my PIN, the desktop app never display my balance. However, if I choose to connect via “Trezor Suite for Web”, it works immediately.
What’s the problem?

Is it possible that you are located in China? If so, please note that the Chinese government continuously blocks our servers in China. It means that it is not possible to use the desktop app regularly. You can use only the web version of Trezor Suite and only when you are on a VPN. This issue is discussed in this thread: Suite can't be used in China!

Another related question, since my recovery feeds are backed up somewhere else (not with me), I am hesitating to upgrade the firmware. If I do upgrade the firmware from 1.11.1 to the newest, do I always need to use the recovery feeds to recover my account? or it is needed only if things went wrong?

In such case, the best thing to do is to move all your funds out of your current wallet (of which you no longer posess the recovery seed) into a newly generated wallet (backed up by newly generated seed). If you have a spare Trezor, please find a step-by-step manual by using the following link (see section “You have multiple Trezor devices available”)

If you have only one Trezor you must use a temporary SW wallet that supports the coins you need to move. After you wipe your Trezor and create a new Trezor wallet with a new recovery seed, you can move the funds from the temporary SW wallet to the newly created Trezor wallet.

It is crucial to keep your seed words safe since only the recovery seed backup can be used to recover your wallet if your device gets destroyed or misplaced.
Feel free to learn more about the importance of the recovery seed in one of our blog posts: Learn about: Recovery seed. The recovery seed is one of the… | by SatoshiLabs | Trezor Blog

Yes, I was using it in China. So that’s probably the reason. Last the suite app worked fine in other countries like Singapore. Thanks for the information.

This topic was automatically closed after 2 days. New replies are no longer allowed.