XMR Immense Frustrations

Hello. I am located in the United States. I use a VPN so my location is not accurate.

My actual location is in a state which screws me at every opportunity. Even Exodus is impossible to use in my state since Polinex is unusable in my state.

Iv’e tried and downloaded a plethora of 3rd party entities. Absolutely all of the things I’ve tried basically told me to screw myself.

Even with multiple 3rd party applications aren’t available in my state.
Binance isn’t even available in my state.

Please advise.

Perhaps buying XMR via a localmonero dealer and/ or driving a great many of hours to find an ATM which accepts Monero?

My frustration level has nearly given me a stroke.

Hello,

I feel your pain. It’s not easy to navigate in the U.S. crypto market nowadays and it won’t get easier in the future either. Same with Europe, by the way, although Europe is a bit easier at the moment. However, the easiest way is a hard one, technically speaking, and goes like this:

1. Find one online exchange/website which accepts connection to a Trezor hardware wallet, for instance Metamask, where you also can buy crypto with a debit/credit card.
  2. Set up a account there, connected to your Trezor.
  3. Buy some exchangeable crypto to use in step 4 below.
  4. Via this account, go to a Decentralized EXchange (DEX) and exchange/swap to the currency you want to buy. You’ll need to have some compatible crypto currency to swap with, since DEXes don’t take Fiat (normal money, like USD) money.
  5. Once done, go back to the account you set up in step 2 and withdraw (if necessary) your crypto to your Trezor.

Now, the first three steps are what gives your anonymity away. All exchanges I know of want to know who you are before you can buy crypto with fiat money from them and after you’ve identified yourself through their Know Your Customer (KYC) routine, but I’ve not found a way to circumvent this first step - yet.

The problem you’re facing is where to find an exchange in the first place. Maybe you can use Binance.us? I don’t know, I’ve never used it myself.

Edit: About step 3, above - You can HODL (hold/store for longer time) by buying larger amounts of crypto currency which you can use in DEXes later, instead of using fiat and buying many times. Say you want to buy Monero (XMR) using a DEX, then you could buy a large amount of exchangable currency, like Bitcoin (BTC) for instance, and store it in your Trezor for use later. The more exchangable currency you have, the less you need to use your debit/credit card to buy with fiat.

Edit 2: Note that Monero (XMR) is not directly compatible with Trezor Suite wallet at the moment, but you can use the 3rd party wallet Monero GUI with Trezor Model T (Trezor Model One does not support XMR). See also XMR in the Supported Coins and tokens list.

1 Like

@2290,

Another highly swapable cryptocurrency you can buy and store up for later use on a DEX are stablecoins, like US Tether (USDT), USD Coin (USDC), Binance USD (BUSD), MakerDao (DAI), and others. Just make sure they’re compatible with Trezor before you try to store them there. Basically, all stablecoins you can find as ERC-20 tokens on Etherscan are storable on Trezor. All stablecoins I mentioned here are ERC-20 tokens and therefore compatible with Trezor.

About limits you can buy before an exchange reports it to the tax authorities are currently $20K, I believe. It’s completely legal to store up stablecoins at the moment, although it may be regulated further in the future.

Stablecoins are nice because they are stable towards the US Dollar, so they won’t inflate or deflate in value while you store them (athough the Dollar itself will deflate over time, of course).

What are stablecoins? Read about that here: Best Stablecoins • Types of Stablecoins • Benzinga

1 Like