(User Mistake) Suite falsely claims 'this hidden wallet is empty'!

@matejcik @forgi Hi, I think I need to try to downgrade the firmware.

I would need some advice please.

The firmware version on my Trezor One is: 1.12.1
I looked into this version and it claims on your website that it’s not possible to downgrade this version, is that right?

The firmware on Model T is 2.6.0 Here I don’t know if I can downgrade or not as it’s not been updated on your website.

If I want to try a universal firmware that is around 1 years old, which version would you recommend for my wallet?

Thanks

Same problem - Suite claims my hidden wallet is empty. The device is ~10 years old but was working fine until a couple months ago. I believe my passphrase was working with the latest firmware and the issue started after a recent Suite update.

Trezor Suite: v23.10.1
Trezor One firmware: 1.12.1 (universal)
Security: pin + passphrase

1 Like

I was able to see my hidden wallet in Suite v23.3.2 (versions 23.11.1, 23.10.1, 23.6.1 are broken for me).

1 Like

are you saying that you are able to regain access by downgrading Suite to a year old version?

@rasping Hi Ras, that’s VERY interesting. But how did you manage to downgrade from ver 1.12.1? It’s not supposed to be possible to downgrade that particular firmware… I will try your suggestion. Thanks so much for getting in touch!

@rasping Or do you mean you didn’t downgrade your firmware (that’s the newest version) only the software and then you gained access to your wallet?

@rasping Hi again, the issue also started with me installing the new suite/firmware! Unfortunately for me downgrading to ver 23.3.2 didn’t help… I’ve been trying much older versions too. Perhaps I should try all of them. The nightmare just won’t stop…

Hi @CryptoSOS, I didn’t downgrade my firmware - I used an older version of Suite. This setup works for me:

Trezor Suite: v23.3.2
Trezor One firmware: 1.12.1 (universal)

I just realized this version does not support ETH but I am able to access my BTC. Either way, somewhere between Suite v23.3.2 and v23.6.1 the hidden wallet feature broke. Since it’s not able to generate the correct addresses you cannot access the wallet but the funds are still there on the blockchain so I’m not worried. Worst case I will setup my ledger or another hardware wallet if I need to transfer.

Note that I’m doing this on macOS 13.4.1 and simply downloaded Trezor-Suite-XX.XX.X-mac-arm64.dmg from github “trezor-suite/releases” until I found one that works.

Hi Team Trezor dev’s, customer support & forum users. @matejcik @forgi @My1 @rasping et al

I now have to do the embarrassing walk of shame!.. I have to admit that my suspicions were false, the error resided with me and not with Trezor! go on laugh all you like :smiley:

My memory failed me… I didn’t remember the password exactly the way it was, only partially! it feels ridiculous. Very sorry. But panic struck me, there’s no question about that.

So to any user reading this, if you dare to use a passphrase, and don’t want 2 weeks of hell, perhaps you should write it down! that’s my two pence…

I’d like to thank everyone for being of such good assistance and please also say thanks to Saadya for me! It was an amazing feeling to know that there’s people out there who actually cared and wouldn’t pass me off straight off the cuff.

I did have to pay a fee to a recovery company here in the UK to hack the passphrase, but I’d like to give a BIG shoutout to Chris at Data Clinic who literally saved my life!

@rasping It sounds weird that only particular versions of Suite work for you. Could it be an incompatibility issue with your OS? I really hope you’ll get some help to sort it out. Main thing is your coins are still there

phew… life goes on, what a ride

Thanks again,
M.

4 Likes

Heiii heiiii @CryptoSOS

CONGRATULATIONS, I never, not for one second, doubted it was your mistake.

At first it is very hard to believe that it’s our mistake and not the code.

Thanks for sharing and being honest, great stuff

2 Likes

@rimaS Thank you!! It was SO stressful… just awful
MASSIVE relief it’s finally over
Thanks again!

I have been there @CryptoSOS, the first time I realized I had the wrong wallet for the passphrase I was sweating and swearing all over, this lasted a week and then I just assumed i lost the coins, deleted threw away all my backups, and started stacking my bags allover again.

Never have lost again

It was a good lesson, and that is why it is better to trust the code than trust yourself. Or verify the code

1 Like

Oh no… you tore up the backups?.. yes, well, it’s moments when you really loose your head and I can completely sympathise! it’s been a trying couple of weeks.

It’s really not a bad idea to write things down

absolutely having your life savings go poof is absolutely stressful.

that’s the primary thing to keep note of when using self custody, you have all the power but also all the risk and responsibility if something goes wrong.

next time just write it down well

1 Like

Rasping, how is it possible to recover the funds to Ledger when it does not support the hidden wallet passphrase feature?

I just realized this version does not support ETH but I am able to access my BTC. Either way, somewhere between Suite v23.3.2 and v23.6.1 the hidden wallet feature broke. Since it’s not able to generate the correct addresses you cannot access the wallet but the funds are still there on the blockchain so I’m not worried. Worst case I will setup my ledger or another hardware wallet if I need to transfer.

Hi @fgfkjg,

Ledger supports hidden wallets (passphrase feature).

Hi Crypto sos brother I need your help same thing happend with me as well I am 99.99% I am puting the correct passphrase I am not able to access my hidden wallet please can you help me i can pay to the recovery company I can come to uk in few months please brother all my life saving are in my wallet also my friend invested 2000€ and my family also invested all funds are in… I am very nervous and crying feeling depreesed from 2 weeks now… please May Allah give you a lot…

did you follow the learn section for passphrases on trezor website?
have you changed your seed or passphrase recently?

I’m sorry to hear. That is indeed a nightmare! My problem in the end was that I put the wrong seedphrase in! It was correct but incomplete! You must try to remember. Otherwise there are companies that can help you break in so to speak but the want a hefty fee…(20%!)

Brother can we talk in private?