Trouble installing Trezor Suite update from 22.4.3 to 23.7.2 on Windows 10

I haven’t used my Trezor Suite in a few months. When I opened it today it informed me that I could upgrade to 23.7.2. My current version is 22.4.3, and I’m using Windows 10 with all of the latest Microsoft updates (with a Lenovo T450s ThinkPad). I’ve tried several times to perform the update, but each time it seems to time out with the progress-bar not quite half-way done, giving an error message that says: “Trezor Suite cannot be closed. Please close it manually and click Retry to continue.” I have looked in the Task Manager, and there is no Trezor Suite running, so I can’t close it. Clicking Retry results in the timeout and same error message. BTW, I am installing it for only me (not for Anyone). I have tried it with my Trezor plugged in on my laptop, and with it not plugged in. I have tried downloading the latest Trezor Suit from the Trezor website. I also tried (successfully) upgrading to the latest firmware version, and trying again. Always with the same resulting error message. Anyone have any hints on how to proceed?

1 Like

Hi @maltman23,

try to uninstall Trezor Suite desktop app, then restart your computer, download the latest version of Trezor Suite desktop app from https://trezor.io/trezor-suite and try to install it again

1 Like

Will do – and I’ll report back…
Thanks

2 Likes

I rebooted my laptop, and then tried to manually unistall Trezor Suite using “Programs and Features”. It reported that Trezor Suite was running, and asked if I wanted to close it, and I chose OK, but then it reported that Trezor Suite couldn’t be closed, and that I should do so manually. I looked in the list of running apps and background processes in the Task Manager, but nothing was listed with “trezor” or “satoshi” in its name. There is also nothing listed under the “startup” tab that would start Trezor Suite at startup. I looked through regedit to find entries with “trezor”, and found one entry with nothing that seemed to indicate that it would start on bootup. I looked for “satoshi” and found an entry that had a NoModify flag and a NoRepair flag set. Maybe that is preventing uninstall?

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @maltman23,

did you uninstall Trezor Suite app before the restart of your laptop? If you have standalone version of Trezor Bridge installed, also uninstall it before restart of your computer.

1 Like

Hi @radekP,

Thanks again for your help. Sorry that I wasn’t clear. I was unable to uninstall the Trezor Suite app. Even after re-booting the laptop. Attempting to uninstall it gave me the results I described in my previous post. Any ideas on why I may not be able to uninstall it? It seems my OS thinks that it is in use, and can’t close the app to be able to uninstall it.

Thanks,
Mitch

1 Like

Let’s check your tasklist. Please, follow these steps:

1. Open Command Prompt as an administrator. (Search for “cmd” in the Start menu, right-click on “Command Prompt” and select “Run as administrator.”)

2. Type tasklist and press Enter. This command will provide a list of all running tasks.

Do you see “Trezor Suite.exe” or “trezord.exe” in this list?

1 Like

I ran the command, and neither “Trezor Suite.exe” nor “trezord.exe” were listed. (And nothing else that seemed like it could be related.)

1 Like

Ok, it means that Trezor Suite is not opened, but your OS thinks it is. Try to turn off your computer, then turn it on and find the file Uninstall Trezor Suite.exe which can be found in Trezor Suite folder. By default, it is in C:\Program Files\Trezor Suite

Try to uninstall Trezor Suite by right-clicking on it and selecting “Run as administrator”

1 Like

Thank you again for your help.

The previous uninstall attempts seems to have deleted the default folder for Trezor Suite, but I found the “Uninstall Trezor Suite.ext” file in the “AppData\Local\Programs\Trezor Suite” folder.

After running it, the same thing happened: it reported
“Trezor Suite is running, click OK to close it.”
and the uninstall window’s status showed
“Waiting for Trezor Suite to close”
and after a timeout it reported
“Trezor Suite cannot be closed. Please close it manually and click Retry to continue.”
I tried Retry, but it just timed out again and gave me the same error message.

Do you know if there is a way to manually tell the OS that Trezor Suite is not running?

1 Like

Hi @maltman23,

you can also try to uninstall Trezor Suite app in “safe mode”. In order to get to the safe mode, please follow these steps:

1. Click on the Start menu and select “Settings” (gear icon).
  2. Choose “Update & Security.”
  3. From the left pane, click on “Recovery.”
  4. Under “Advanced startup,” click on “Restart now.”
  5. After your PC restarts to the “Choose an option” screen, select “Troubleshoot.”
  6. Then choose “Advanced options” > “Startup Settings” and click “Restart.”
  7. After the computer restarts again, you’ll see a list of options. Select “4” or “F4” to start your PC in Safe Mode. Or if you’ll need to use the internet, select “5” or “F5” for Safe Mode with Networking.

Try to uninstall the Trezor Suite app in safe mode, then restart your computer and try to install the latest version.

2 Likes

Thank you again for your suggestions, radekP.

I returned home from vacation, and tried to uninstall Trezor Suite in “safe mode” (as you outlined). Unfortunately, I get the same error message:
“Trezor Suite cannot be closed. Please close it manually and click Retry to continue.”

I am guessing that there is a file somewhere (or a registry entry?) that is telling the operating system that the program is running. Do you know if there is some way to manually flip that off?

Hello everyone. After a few years I want to inspect my Trezor One and I have the same problem as @maltman23. The big difference is that my PC with Win 11 never installed Trezor Suite, but when trying to install the application for the first time, the installation could not progress due to the message "Trezor Suite is active. Click OK to close it. If it does not closes, try it manually.

(other language text deleted by Petosiris. Use only english, please!)