Storing Alternative Coins

Hello everyone, I don’t know if someone can help me. It really is desperate. There are now so many videos about the Trezor hardware wallets. But nowhere is it explained how to store cryptos on Trezor 1 or T that do not belong to the handful of coins listed on the left side of the menu. I bought Solana, Terra or Quant, but can’t get them on the Trezor. Could you please explain that to me? This is crazy. Nobody can explain that to me so far. I would be very happy about help. Greetings

Supported coins - you can find a list of all supported coins at: Trezor Hardware Wallet (Official) | The original and most secure hardware wallet.

• You can also find information there about what model supports the coin in question as well as any related apps to use for a given coin

Natively supported coins - coins that are natively supported in our app can be managed directly via Trezor Suite: http://suite.trezor.io/

ERC20 tokens - The vast majority of supported coins are ERC20 tokens. These are built on top of the ETH network, use ETH addresses, and so must be managed via an Ethereum-compatible Wallet. For more detailed info check our user manual: ERC20 tokens - Trezor Wiki

• Trezor recently released Trezor Suite which features a native ETH Wallet: https://suite.trezor.io/

• To receive ERC20 tokens just use the ETH address as the receiving address. Once the token is received you should see it in the transaction history automatically.

Other coins - some coins (including Cardano $ADA) are supported in Trezor firmware but are not yet supported in the Trezor Wallet app. For these, you need to use 3rd party wallet mentioned on the coin list. In doing this, your private keys are still fully protected by your Trezor, but a different app interface needs to be used for managing the coin

New coins - if your favorite coin is not on the list, it’s not supported right now. At the moment, we do not have the capacity to add new coins. Our current product goal is to unite what we support in firmware and in Trezor Suite first.

1 Like

Hello Michal, I’m from Germany, so I’ll try to repeat what you answered me and whether I understood it correctly: Quant is an ERC20 token (I know that, because I’ve researched) and can with an Ethereum address, that I take from the Trezor to which Trezor will be sent.

As soon as I have sent it to the Treor Wallet, it will be displayed to me as an unknown coin Is it correct that way?

Many greetings to you :slight_smile:

Hi @George

In order to add desired token (and be able to send it) please navigate to your ETH account in Trezor Suite and click on three dots (right up corner) and add token address.
In your case it is: 0x4a220e6096b25eadb88358cb44068a3248254675

Then the token will be displayed and you’ll be able to send it if needed as well.

Dear Michal, much thanks for your answer and much greetings to you and your team :slight_smile:

Hi, also new here.

As George mentioned, a thousand of videos at YouTube, but no one shows this properly.

Therefore, i have some additional questions:
You wrote, we can add any ERC20 Token to Trezor via the Trezor ETH address. Important is, to add the token to trezor. i got that.

Question 1:
Do you recommend, to send all ERC20 token to the same Trezor ETH address or is it better to send it to different addresses. Until now, i do not see any benefit of different ETH addresses on Trezor ?

Question 2:
How about BSC (Binance Chain) tokens (ex. Metahero)? How can i save them on Trezor? Can i connect to such a network and get the BSC address? Or do i have to do it via Metamask ?

THX

Hi @TRA

Apologies for late answers but here goes:

Q1:
There are certain (dis)advantages of why (not) to use multiple ETH addresses.
I suggest you to have a look at the following article where it is IMO nicely summed up:

Please note that Trezor Suite will show you only first ten ETH addresses though.

Q2:
This has actually already been discussed in several threads such as this one.
BSC network can be managed with Trezor only via 3rd party apps such as MetaMask or MEW.

Just received my Trezor T and setting it up. INCREDIBLY DISAPPOINTED that you conned me into thinking that alt coins would be supported in the hardware wallet.

The whole reason I bought it was because of the Atomic Wallet fiasco. As soon as I set up a third party wallet then there is zero security. It doesn’t matter that my secret keys are stored safely on the Trezor when they are stored UNSAFELY on the third party wallet. THIS IS SO STUPID.

However, I did want to store some BTC, so I guess I can use it for that and any ERC20 tokens.

You are lying to people saying you “support” X number coins when you only natively support 14.

Total BS.

Not true, that is exactly what matters, that your keys are stored on HW wallet and not in the SW. You are only using the interface nothing more.

All supported coins and apps are clearly mentioned here: Supported Coins & Assets | Trezor Hardware Wallets

So, I haven’t researched this yet, but are you saying that you can use a third party online wallet and connect it to Trezor for the keys? I know MM and MyCrypto are used for some coins and you can do a Custom Wallet. But many of the wallets listed for certain alt coins I never even heard of before. How do I know they are safe even using as an interface?

I still say this is a Big Lie to say “support” when what you really mean is “barely supported” and “third party risky” and “a pain in the ass”.

Trezor should stop lying and say “x” number of coins are natively supported as well as all ERC20 tokens and this or that other side chain. At least I would have known what to expect.

Telling me that “supported” means I have to do lots of work is the same thing as tell me its “NOT SUPPORTED”.

This is correct. The whole point of Trezor is that you can use our Trezor Suite, or any number of 3rd party wallets that you prefer, while still securely keeping the keys on the Trezor device. Even if your PC is completely infested with malware, and even if a hacker dumps the whole memory of, say, MetaMask or Exodus, they will not find the signing keys.

The only thing a wallet software does (and this is true both for Trezor Suite and any 3rd party) is nicely ask the Trezor device to sign something. The Trezor device will show you a confirmation screen. If you click OK, Trezor will sign it. If you click Cancel, it won’t. There is no way for a hacker to get something signed without you clicking OK on the Trezor device.

That is literally the whole point of the whole thing.

And yet you come to the forum, all “incredibly disappointed” and “this is so stupid”.
That was not very nice of you.

1 Like

It wasn’t very nice of you to market the product as a complete solution supporting 1600+ coins/tokens when in fact it does not do that. It’s part of a solution, but except for BTC and ERC20s plus a few others, its a half solution at best.

So, yeah, I hope you are offended, researching how to set up workarounds to use your product is not my job, its yours.

You can gaslight people all day long but it will not change that reality.

The actual product being sold is the hardware device. And it is working exactly as advertised, with exactly the list of supported coins that it claims. You are not “setting up workarounds”, you are using the product the intended way.

Your initial claim that safety goes out the window when you use a 3rd party app is patently false. As explained above, Trezor device is explicitly designed for this usecase.

(there’s the issue of trust, but let’s be very clear here: if you distrust a 3rd party wallet, what makes you trust the blockchains themselves?)

You’re angry that you need to install two or three apps instead of one.

It’s like buying a smartphone and complaining that it doesn’t do anything and you have to install apps.

A way to rephrase what you’re saying is that the ““official companion app”” (i.e., Trezor Suite) isn’t any good because it doesn’t support nowhere near all features of the device, and you need to go to 3rd party software to unlock that functionality.

This would absolutely be a valid complaint. But on the other hand, the coin support page is very explicit about what is supported in which software. This information is not hidden in any way.

With all that said, I get it. You got something very different from what you were expecting.

And yes, it’s on us to do better. For one, the Trezor experience as of today is much more “low-level” than a lot of us would prefer. For two, the current presentation is geared towards a particular kind of user, but is wholly insufficient for, e.g., people coming to self-custody straight from an exchange. Or, like you, from software like Atomic Wallet. We need to incorporate that viewpoint and make it clearer that there is a difference.

Might I recommend Exodus Wallet? Their Trezor integration is stellar and coin support is wider. You would probably be happier with that experience.

2 Likes