Requiring Seed after Firmware Update

I just did 2 firmware updates, and for one of the Trezors (both Trezor 1) it required me to re-enter my seed, and for the other it did not.

I entered the seed using the feature on the device that mixes up the letter combinations on the device (so entry on the computer is random).

Is this expected? Could there be a security issue here? How can I confirm that I have the correct firmware installed?

a trezor device will never ask you for the seed again, never is never, unless you factory reset it and configure it from scratch

I think it’s likely that I configured it from scratch - but now my question becomes is it possible that it reset during the firmware upgrade?

It did say “erasing device” while that was going on. Then when I reconnected it later, the trezor suite considered it a blank device.

I guess the question now is - what can I check to ensure that my hypothesis is correct that everything is working properly?

yes, it is. If there is a connection issue device will get wiped and then needs to be set up again. It is a security feature,

Ok - so that sounds about right - I definitely went through “advanced recovery” - which seems pretty secure.

It was unclear that there was an issue during the firmware upgrade - it just looked like “that’s what it’s supposed to do”. Is this common?

Just to confirm - the seed entry wasn’t DURING the firmware upgrade - it was afterwards when the device was recognized as blank.

I was required to perform a Firmware update. I plugged in my Trezor and downloaded the update. The trezor asked for my seed. I entered a seed string for a Ledger device & my passphrase for Trezor. This generated a new wallet w/ no crypto. I ordered a new Trezor. I am afraid to wipe the miss loaded Trezor. If I perform a factor reset will I be able to recover my crypto? Am I best using another new Trezor?

Hi @BlakeVanderlan,

If your Trezor device asked to enter your Recovery seed during a Firmware update, then the update probably failed because of a connection issue. This is a security feature.

If you entered the seed for a Ledger device you simply mirrored that wallet in your Trezor. When you then entered the Passphrase you’ve used with your Trezor before, a new wallet was created for you because the Discovery routine couldn’t find an existing wallet. This is a standard feature.

What you should do to recover your Hidden wallet connected to your Trezor device is simple:

1. Wipe your Trezor device
  2. Set upo your device from start, choosing the Recovery option instead of New account.
  3. Enter the Recovery seed you have with your Trezor (not Ledger or any other wallet).
  4. In Trezor Suite, enable the coins you had in your wallet before.
  5. Open your Hidden wallet with your Passphrase.

This routine requires that you have written down your Trezor wallet’s Recovery seed. If you haven’t saved that seed, then you’re out of luck. Another Trezor device won’t help you recover your funds, which are in the blockchain(s).

1 Like