Reading thru some of the 'predefined seed hack' horror stories - would adding a PASSPHRASE foil this scam?

If I had a compromised Trezor Hdwr wallet with a predefined seedphrase which I didn’t know about - would adding my own PASSPHRASE (to my KNOWN 12 word seed) creating secret wallet and moving my funds there, protect the funds?
I was reading some scammers lay in wait for YEARS before cleaning them out - scary.
I DID buy mine from trezor_io btw.

Hi @alotanor,

First, I would like to mention that if you purchased your Trezor device directly from our official eshop. there is nothing to worry about. You can find information on how to check the authenticity of the packaging and other safety features in these articles:

for Trezor Model One: Check the authenticity of Trezor Model one packaging and contents
for Trezor Model T: Check the authenticity of Trezor Model T packaging and contents
for Trezor Safe 3: Check the authenticity of Trezor Safe 3 packaging and contents

Using a passphrase most likely wouldn’t help in case your device is tampered. However, as mentioned above, if you purchased your Trezor device from an official eshop, there is no need to worry, your device is genuine.

Just to be sure, is there a way to WIPE the firmware and re-install it?

On a genuine device, yes. Search for “factory reset in bootloader mode”.

The problem with a fake device is that it doesn’t follow any of the rules. Whatever is true of the official Trezor, the same thing might not work on the fake.

There is no reliable way to convert a fake device to a legitimate one.