Question about FIDO2 / Passkey Support on Trezor Model T / Safe series

I have a question regarding FIDO2 / passkey support on the devices.

I recently bought a Trezor Model T, expecting to be able to use it as a proper passkey device (for example with my Google account). My understanding was that support for resident keys would be an advantage compared to devices like Ledger.

However, after setting up both my Trezor Model T and my Ledger device, I noticed a difference in behavior:
The Ledger functions as a true passkey and allows passwordless login, whereas the Model T only seems to function as a FIDO2 second factor (requiring the account password in addition to the device).

Is this a known limitation/difference?

Trezor T with up-to-date firmware is supposed to support the right FIDO2 standards for passkeys. In fact I am able to log in passwordless with my Trezor into Google account.

Due to standards fragmentation, it is possible that certain websites, browsers, or a combination thereof, do not allow you to use the passkey functionality.

What browser are you using? And you are saying that it is Google login that is troublesome, correct?

Yeah thats on me, after updating to Version 2.10 and re-enrolling it it now functions as a proper passkey. Awesome!

2 Likes