Namecoin integration

I’d like to know the basics about Namecoin integration. In the docu of the Trezor Suite I find Bitcoin etc. but not sure if this can be adapted 1:1.

Furthermore I’d like to know where I find the specs/docu for the direct communication with the Trezor wallet, means e.g. an Android app communicating via USB or however with the Trezor wallet.

Namecoin is registered as bitcoin:NMC in Trezor according to /trezor/trezor-common/master/defs/coins_details.json on GitHub btw.

Hi @blocktraveler,

I guess you know this already, but in case you don’t I’ll tell you anyway.

Namecoin (NMC) is a fork of Bitcoin, therefore they’re similar on many things but the blockchains are different entities. Trezor devices support NMC natively and so does Trezor Suite. You can read more about NMC here: https://trezor.io/coins/detail/namecoin.

Thank you, I’m a Namecoin dev. Unfortunately your response doesn’t answer my second question.

far as I can tell Namecoin is a straight fork with no special features (that are supported by Trezor anyway), so the docs should apply 1 to 1, except substitute “Namecoin” for “Bitcoin” where appropriate.

A good place to start is Bitcoin signing - Trezor Firmware

Thx! Before I take a deeper look at this, I’d just like to get verified that a USB connection is possible between the Trezor wallet and an app running on a mobile device (preferred Android for now). Because in the docu you linked it’s always written about “the computer”.

On the other hand, the Trezor Suite seems to be for web apps, as server-side scripts are given. Or could the Trezor Suite also be used for a local server on (e.g.) the mobile device at IP 127.0.0.1?

Take a look at the Trezor Connect API, if you haven’t already.

The Chrome browser’s WebUSB API can be used for USB connections, but that’d require users to use Chrome.

Trezor Suite has both a website and a desktop app. When using the website, Trezor Bridge must be running on the client’s machine. The desktop program has bridge included. The user can check if Trezor Bridge is running on their computer at address http://127.0.0.1:21325/status/.

Many thanks! But for security reasons I’d never ever take the browser for interacting with the Trezor wallet. In the end I see that all variants are dependent on a browser, including the Bridge for the desktop app.

If there’s no possibility to establish a direct USB connection between the Trezor wallet and the Android USB manager, I won’t work with the Trezor wallet. :man_shrugging:t2:

I see no reason why it shouldn’t be, but that’s honestly up to you to figure out.
The "web"usb is just an extension to vendor class USB to let the browsers know what to look for. Otherwise you can use your favourite way to talk to generic USB devices. See, e.g., how trezorlib does this.