Migrating from ledger nano s to Trezor safe 3 issue metamask

Hi guys, I am having an issue to find my addresses on metamask,

My ledger nano s, stopped worked, so I bought a Trezor safe 3, so I have used my seed phrase from ledger and recovery well my funds on the trezor suite.

1, The issue is when I try to connect to metamask, trezor does not show any of those addressess, even if I change to legacy too, I recovered from the metamask’s seed which I was using with my ledger nano s before it brakes (I still have that metamask on another brownser with the accounts, but can not do anything because ledger is broken).

Someone knows how I fix it and able to see my addresses that I was using on metamask with a ledger nano s? so I can import to metamask-trezor?

I appreciate any help.
Best,
Testa

2 Likes

I don’t quite understand where you got to…
But this would be my process at this.

If the ledger is completely broken, then re-create the ledger wallet on metamask by typing in the seed.
Just be absolutely sure your typing the seed in the right place…
That should hopefully bring up the funds in metamask.

Then create a brand new seed on trezor, write it down etc.
Then transfer the funds to the trezor from metamask.
Then don’t use the old ledger seed on metamask anymore.

You could just use the ledger seed on the trezor (and not put it in metamask), but for a new wallet, I’d make a fresh start to ensure best security.

2 Likes

thank you mate, in theory doing that on metamask it should appears also all the addressses that I had been using previously on metamask with my ledger right?

so essentially I restore my ledger into my trezor safe 3 with the seed phrase, but when connecting to metamask it does not show any of the addresses I had founds which I was using connected with metamask on my ledger. In theory it should work, but not sure why, almost thinking that I might have to invest in another ledger only to recover those addressess, but I will try first move my funds to another wallet, then recover my seed from ledger into the metamask as you suggested, hopefully it will bring the addressess that was linked to the ledger from metamask, then create a new seed on trezor and move back my fund there, I hope I can make metamask displays those addressess I was using on metamask.

Thank you mate

2 Likes

you may find that the default derivation path for metamask and ledger are different.
If so, you’ll need to find what the derivation path was in ledger and adjust that in metamask.

edit: ledger live might tell you the derivation path it was using.
Then set that the same in metamask.

1 Like

thank again mate, On ledger live I can only see the address that I had originally created on ledger, and I can see the path on there, but that address I can restore easily on metamask, however all the addressess I created from metamask previously using my ledger, they don´t show on ledger live, only on metamask, which I used to use the ledger to assign transaction, in theory it should be stored on my seed phase from my ledger those addressess, I´ve been trying using MEW and changing paths to see if I can find those addressess, but still not showing any of those, trying all from default, I might have to discover which path address ledger use to created originally those addressess from metamask at first place.

1 Like

When you go through the process of pairing HW wallet to MM you should select Legacy/Ledger from this dropdown, then you should see your Ledger address below.

Then you can either use this derivation path in or if you want to see your ETH in Suite too, you can send it to your Trezor ETH address.

2 Likes

Hi forgi, thank you for your help,

I´ve tried to change to legacy too, however all the address that shown there is none of the ones I was using on metamask, I really don´t know why because I created those addressess conecting my ledger on metamask and through ledger, it should be one of the addressess storaged on my ledger device, which I restore the seed phrase on my trezor, it seems like those addresses was storaged in some other path of my device? it is really weird,

1 Like

did you use a passphrase on ledger?

I can´t remember when I setup my ledger at first place it have the passphrase, as I did many years ago, and it is a ledger nano s, I believe this one does not support passphrase though. I only use the password to assign transctions

1 Like

mmmm
I can’t remember whether the old S did passphrases or not.
I’ll have to dig one up and try it.

1 Like

if I am not wrong I think that one did not support passphrases, as I also never really use it, but in theory only with the seed phrase I should be able to recover, it must be in some weird path address I believe. last case scenario I believe I will need to find some genious here that can fix my ledger to try to connect at least and remove funds, but might be difficult to find someone around here

1 Like

answer to that is the old Nano S (none plus model) does do passphrase
I just tried an old one of mine

1 Like

it is that password you type to approve transaction right? or perhaps some passphrase when you create the seed?

1 Like

you can buy new screens on ebay I believe and swap the screen over.
But I think it’s rather fliddly.

1 Like

so with ledger:
1st you setup and do the seed thing/process.
then if you want a passphrase, then you create the passphrase and attach a different PIN against it.

Then when you power up the ledger.
you use PIN 1 for standard wallet
PIN2 for passphrase wallet.
you never have to re-enter the passphrase again for the passphrase wallet (only PIN2)

Thus after many years, could be forgotten about…

1 Like

I could be totally on the wrong track here…
But trying to guess ALL possibilities.

1 Like

I might try that, but a bit difficult here in Brazil though. I tryed to remove the screen and add back again, but now not even the device turned on anymore, worried that I damaged something, but might have to try to find

I don´t really remember if I set up that really at first place, but for everything I really only have one pin though, I don´t beleive I had that setup.

good to try all possiblities, I appreciate your help mate. a bit worried that I can´t recover it, but will keep trying new possibilities and perhaps try some phassphrase see if that will help, those passphrase on ledger nano S, can be letters too? easy way would be try to fix my ledger I believe

1 Like

passphrase can be anything.
I take it you’ve tried all the derivation paths for ETH ?
was there any extra code written with the seed phrase?
Don’t think I can offer much more help… maybe someone else might have ideas.
I’ll leave you to it. regards

1 Like

not really mate, only the seed 24 phrase. it is a very old nano ledger s really I don´t believe I had phassprase as I never really had to type other than the pin code to approve transaction anytime. I´ve try many derivations paths for eth but did´t really show up. unless I am missing one.

I do appreciate your help, on the otherhand I might have to dig out someone to help to fix my ledger, so I can just connect again on metamask and perhaps remove the funds at least.

cheers mate

1 Like