Metamask + Trezor generated account does not let me send or swap funds

Hi team,

I have a Trezor HW that I have connected to my Metamask account in order to store my tokens on on BNB and Polygon. I first set this up many months ago and I have experienced no issues to send funds there, it even connects to the hardwallet to make authentication/confirmation (so I guess the metamask account really is connected to the Trezor (it’s called Trezor 1 as per default).

But, to swap or to send out funds, I keep encountering multiple errors when connecting to the hardwallet to finish transaction. Metamask loads a pop-up, I authorize key export and then comes the error, as per attached screenshots.

First thing: I do not use passphrase on Trezor. After reading multiple topics on this forum and github, I understand this could’ve been the issue, I even tried setting a hidden account with a passphrase, i found nothing. As you can see, the error that i am facing is not the unknown address error, it simply is this Metamask crash when connecting to my Trezor to fulfill the transaction or swap.

I tried disabling safety checks, cleaning cache and so on. Nothing solves the issue.

I then downloaded the Firefox extension and tried adding a hardwallet account to restore this same bugged account, but this account I’m referring to (first one setup in Metamask connected to Trezor) does not appear on the list of accounts from my Trezor connection - this is weird.

I even found another account that I hadn’t been using, some funds there I thought I’d lost and this second Metamask+Trezor account is working fine, I can operate in bothways (sending and getting funds from it).

But the first Trezor 1 account, which I can login normally through Chrome extension, and can’t be found through my Trezor connection with Metamask on Firefox, is frozen.

Can someone please help me out with suggestions as to release these funds? What could it be?

2 Likes

Screenshot 2023-11-19 at 19.30.31

Also, I noticed that the first account generated through Metamask connecting my Trezor in Chrome (0x5…) does not have the Metamask logo beside it as the second one which I set up in Firefox today has. Does this indicate anything?

1 Like

Hi @vinicustodio,

from your description, it looks like you do not have the proper private key for send/swap on the desired ETH address.

I then downloaded the Firefox extension and tried adding a hardwallet account to restore this same bugged account, but this account I’m referring to (first one setup in Metamask connected to Trezor) does not appear on the list of accounts from my Trezor connection - this is weird.

I even found another account that I hadn’t been using, some funds there I thought I’d lost and this second Metamask+Trezor account is working fine, I can operate in bothways (sending and getting funds from it).

this is not weird, the reason is that you are connecting a different wallet (with a different set of private and public keys) to MetaMask. That is why you see different addresses in the step “Select an account”. You connected a different wallet with the ETH address that you used before. Please, keep in mind that different wallets can be accessed if you have a different recovery seed stored in your Trezor device or if you enter a different passphrase. You mentioned you don’t use passphrase, so the only option is you have a different recovery seed stored in your Trezor. Is it possible that you have more recovery seed backups?

Also, I noticed that the first account generated through Metamask connecting my Trezor in Chrome (0x5…) does not have the Metamask logo beside it as the second one which I set up in Firefox today has. Does this indicate anything?

I’m not sure what is the purpose of the logo, however, the facts described above still apply. I can recommend contacting MetaMask support, they will know what is the meaning of the logo and will provide you with the explanation.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot Radek! Very insightful.

I don’t recall having different recovery seed stored in my Trezor, I just checked my backup on Trezor Suite and my only 24word recovery seed was checked, is there any way of knowing if there are others stored there? I don’t think so.

Worst case scenario here is I don’t find these private keys (supposedly 2nd recovery seed?) and this metamask wallet becomes read-only, is that it?

I’ll write Metamask support to see if they can see something on their end, any other suggestions?

1 Like

Only one recovery seed can be stored in the Trezor device at a time. If you check the seed stored there and if it matches your recovery seed backup, the only possibility to access a different wallet (with a different set of addresses) within this recovery seed is by using a passphrase. There is no other way to access a different wallet.

1 Like

Okay, thanks!
So only thing I can do is try to insert the right passphrase I might have used and don’t remember.

If I keep trying with different passphrases, does that generate other different sets of accounts/wallets or does that only search for hidden wallets?

Every different passphrase generates a different hidden wallet with a specific set of addresses. If the combination of recovery seed and entered passphrase has never been used before (if you enter a different passphrase then the one you are looking for), these addresses will be empty.

If you enter the passphrase that has been used to originally generate the wallet with the desired address, you will access this wallet again.

1 Like