LOST ETH sent from Exodus to Trezor One

Hello,
I’ll try to explain my situation the best I can but I’m very upset right now because I think I lost about $94 Ethereum. For me that’s a lot.

I had my Trezor One set up with Exodus. I had Trezor in Bitcoin only firmware but decided to leave that setup and use the Trezor for Ethereum (and maybe other coins). I updated Trezor with Trezor Suite and added the ETH account.

My assets in Exodus showed up as Exodus / Trezor One (with Bitcoin).

I read this article…

and thought great I’ll send my ETH from Exodus to Trezor using the Ethereum address from Trezor Suite. Only it seems my ETH went to a third address ending in …8705 which has nothing to do with neither my Trezor or Exodus wallets.

This is the transaction…
https://etherscan.io/tx/0xe9ce69a2906b8c61dde4fb8196c37990b9a3e917695a1730e13ede2d97a62bda

At this point, I don’t know what to share. I’ve been on Trezor/reddit with this which you can see here…
https://www.reddit.com/r/TREZOR/comments/14cq7c9/sending_eth_from_exodus_to_trezor/

Both the Send addresses (from my Trezor and Exodus) are exactly the same, ending with … 69a25.

I think I’m screwed at this point. What can I do? Thank you.

Hi @bleak,

Sorry to hear about your transaction problems. Please check if the entire address is correct, not just the first and last four characters in the address. Some scammers can alter the address to one of their own wallets.

Never re-use addresses you’ve used before if you can avoid it. Use Trezor to generate a new address every time. Except ETH receive addresses are always the same to the same account, of course.

Yes, I checked character by character. They are the same.

At the time, I didn’t think to check both wallet addresses; my non-Trezor Exodus wallet and the Trezor wallet synced to Exodus. They were both the same ending in …69a25. So in effect, I sent the ETH to myself which maybe was stupid but why did it disappear? Where did this …8705 address come from? I thought that was the miner’s address which got a few dollars but it seems they got all of it.

How should I have transferred the ETH to Trezor?

If I understand you correctly, you have connected your Trezor device to the Exodus site and you also have a native Exodus wallet. We’ll call the Trezor wallet for Trezor-wallet and the native Exodus wallet for Exodus-wallet in the example below.

If you have 0.05 ETH in Exodus-wallet and you want to send it to Trezor-wallet:

1. Generate a receive address from your Trezor-wallet’s ETH account.
  2. Copy this address to clipboard.
  3. Paste the address into the Exodus-wallet’s send address. Check that the address is still the same as what Trezor generated.
  4. At Exodus, enter the amount you want to send 0.05 ETH.
  5. At Exodus, select the Ethereum network for transfer.
  6. Check that the Exodus-wallet has enough ETH for the send fee.
  7. Enter the fee amount.
  8. Send the transaction.

You don’t have to be connected to Exodus with your Trezor device while this transfer is progressing. The funds go to the blockchain (if success), not to your Trezor device.

Sending ETH to yourself at the same address you sent it from should generate an error at the sender. In this case Exodus.

I don’t know. It’s possible it’s a scammer involved in changing the address, but if you’re sure the send address was the same as the generated address in Trezor, then I guess it’s a possibility you used the wrong network when sending, and not the Ethereum network, so the funds landed in the wrong blockchain.

You should probably check your receipt from Exodus and see the details there, then contact official Support at Exodus and ask if there’s something wrong with the transaction.

If you want to contact official Support for Trezor, click on the link at upper right on the front page in this forum. Then engage the chatbot at lower right corner at the support page and ask for manual help. Please have all your transaction data ready for Support.

This is exactly what I did. Exactly. It doesn’t matter if the Trezor is connected or not, correct? In my case, it was connected.

Both addresses (Send / Receive) are the same in Trezor Suite and Exodus and there’s no way to generate a different address that I know of.

It was the Ethereum network no doubt about it.

I guess I’ll try Exodus support. Yes there’s definitely something wrong with the transaction :slight_smile:

Well, if you sent the funds to yourself – to the same account you sent it from – then you did something like this:

From Exodus-wallet → Exodus-wallet

… but if you did like you said you did and followed the recipe I outlined, then it’d be like this:

From Exodus-wallet → Trezor-wallet

The latter example isn’t what I’d call “sent it to myself”. It’s a normal transfer between two wallets, you just happen to control both of them.

Correct. When you press the Send button at the Exodus site, then the transaction is on its way. You may have a limited time window to cancel it, or later raise the fee if it was too low to begin with, but otherwise it’s not necessary to do anything.

For what it’s worth, here is the transaction history in Exodus.

The two transfer IDs…
0x2995a5388f4d2f638bba45b308d8c01efc5fb2c4db590ba9c8c5d2ccf3efc680
0xe9ce69a2906b8c61dde4fb8196c37990b9a3e917695a1730e13ede2d97a62bda

Where did this 0xc8f18f2dd0c263a12635bf81fb48f5f30d9e8705 come from? It seems as though it was somehow interjected but I can’t understand how. I don’t believe that I accidently copied it somehow. I was very methodical about it. How could this have happened?

This is the receiving address from Exodus…
0x4Cbd3496AA9E4cA1D842efD5c97F5584f0969a25

I just repeated the process, a mock transaction, and the error popped up! Oops too late.

Why didn’t I get this error the first time? Thanks for your help.

@bleak,

Since you –

a) checked all the characters in the address and not just the first and last four, and
b) generated a new address from Trezor and not copied an old address from the transaction history,

– I think the possibility for an Address Replacing Virus is the most likely explanation. The virus changes the data copied to your clipboard memory.

The problem with this hypothesis is that you say you checked the address after you pasted it into the send address in Exodus. If it had been changed by a virus in your clipboard you’d seen that the address had changed when you checked it.

You should scan your computer anyway with a good anti-virus software and remove any virus it finds.

I believe I copied the Receive address from Trezor and pasted it into the Send dialog in Exodus. It just happens that the Send/Receive addresses in the Ethereum Network are the same addresses.

Trezor Receiving Address…
0x4Cbd3496AA9E4cA1D842efD5c97F5584f0969a25

Copy that and pasted into the Send ETH Network in Exodus (I can’t post more than one image at atime).

Seems pretty straightforward, right? That’s all I did. Where did…

0xc8f18f2dd0c263a12635bf81fb48f5f30d9e8705

come from then? Was it somehow injected? Like I said, it seems to be the miner’s address but why/how did they get all my ETH?
Thanks.

Hi Petosirs,
I did a cursory Malwarebytes and AdwCleaner scans which didn’t find anything. There are more scans which I haven’t done but I’m pretty sure my computer is clean. I’m very much an advanced user when it comes to privacy and practice regular maintenance in various ways. I don’t surf indiscriminately and no other person has access to my PC.

Yes, I did see the correct address which was pasted into Exodus. I double-checked it. I also emptied my wallet into an exchange successfully until I know how to proceed.

Exodus is looking at my log files so maybe they’ll figure it out. Maybe not lol. Thanks again.

1 Like

I realize this doesn’t totally rule out the possibility of hijacking but I’m going to wait for Exodus’s answer.

1 Like

I don’t know. There are several types of mining scams, but I don’t see how any of those can have changed the Exodus website’s form and injected a false address there – after you checked the address and pressed Send. Unless there’s a malicious plugin or something in your browser which monitors the Exodus site? You should perhaps consider switching to another mining pool, check your browser plugins, your Exodus settings for preferred transfer addresses, etc. Maybe reinstall Exodus too.

Let’s hear what Exodus support say.