How to set up a second / backup Trezor Model T

Hello, I just bought a second Model T to use as a backup for my main Trezor. I want to tie it to the same wallet / seed however, I can’t figure out how to set it up to do so. Does anyone know the best way to do this? Thanks in advance.

Hi industria,

This should be easy, just set it up with the same private seed (12 words) you did with the first Model T and the second device should automatically mirror it. This is the same as you’d do if you lost or damaged your first Model T.

1 Like

Thanks Petosiris. During setup of the new one, it asks me if I should create new wallet or recover an old one. I assume I treat this as a recovery, is that correct?

1 Like

Yes, that’s correct. See instructions

I recovered using the instructions, and it was successful. However, it does not show my balance afterwards when the second Trezor is connected. How do I tie everything together?

Then, add all types of accounts you previously used. When checking your balances, always make sure you are accessing and comparing the same addresses.

Basically, if your issue is related to BTC, learn about bech32 accounts first; see more.

Hi Pavel. Yes, this is solely a BTC related issue. I read your other posts on bech32 accounts but I’m a not totally clear on how that relates. You mentioned to “add all types of accounts you previously used”. In this case, I’m just trying to tie it to the same BTC wallet as my first Trezor so that when I plug it in, I see the same balance / money etc… I’m not sure how to add that account to the second one - is there a way to do that? Lastly, it sounds like it may be the case that Trezor’s lack of support for bech32 addresses is what is keeping me from seeing the balance. Is that correct?

Trezor, as a hardware device, supports all types of BTC accounts. The only difference is what app/wallet is used with Trezor.

Trezor Suite supports all three types of addresses (BTC accounts):
Legacy beginning with 1, Segwit beginning with 3, Native Segwit beginning with bc1

Trezor Wallet, on the other hand, supports only:
Legacy beginning with 1 and Segwit beginning with 3

Therefore, Trezor Suite is recommended.

1. Navigate to Accounts tab from the upper menu
  2. Click on the plus [+] symbol on the left pane
  3. Choose Bitcoin from the list, select Account type, and confirm the selection by clicking on ‘Add account’
  4. See your BTC accounts listed on the left pane

If you have previously used more BTC accounts, simply repeat the process. The accounts will be always generated in the same order.

Hey Pavel. No luck here. If I select Native SegWit it doesn’t allow me to add an account. If I select SegWit, it adds an account but not the one from my primary Trezor. It doesn’t connect the two. Is there another way to get the second Trezor to connect to the primary wallet?

You can add another account, only if the previous one (of the same type) was used already.

Otherwise, it tells you Previous account is empty.

It doesn’t give me an option to add the account from the primary Trezor. Is there a way to enable that?

Generally, when the same recovery seed is used and the same passphrase is entered (if enabled and used), the same wallet is accessed. There is no exception. It always generates the same wallet including the same accounts having the same addresses in the same order. The public-key cryptography ensures it generates always the same result.

So, the question is: Have you ever been using the Passphrase feature?

Please note, passphrase is case sensitive and space is a valid character as well. Passphrase is a feature that enables you to create as many hidden wallets as you need to. Once you enter the same passphrase, the same wallet is accessed. However, if you enter a different passphrase, you create a different wallet. This is why there is no such thing as a wrong passphrase. Since default wallet is passphrase non protected, just leave it blank to access your default wallet.

While I see the ability with the Destkop Suite to validate your seed, I would like to perform a restore onto a second trezor. There is nothing wrong with my first trezor. If I restore the same wallet that is on the first trezor onto the second:

1. Will BOTH Trezors function the same with the same wallet? e.g., could I add/remove crypto from either trezor and the other trezor will reflect the change?
  2. If I re-provision the second trezor for a different wallet later, does this adversely impact my original wallet on the first trezor?
    Thanks for any help.

Hi @rambog,

1. Yes. If you set up the second device with the same seed, they’d be a mirror of each other. However, if they are different devices, say one Trezor Model T and one Trezor Model One, then the functionality will differ because Model One doesn’t support all functions and coins as Model T does. So it’s adviced to only use identical devices as mirrors.

2. No. You may wipe and make a different seed on the second device and the original will stay as it was. The coins you have are stored in the blockchains, not in your Trezor device. The device is just a key to your funds in the blockchains.