GPG stopped working with Trezor after updating Ubuntu to 23.04

Hello everyone.

I was using Trezor as a GPG key for the “pass” application on Ubuntu for some time. It was working fine until I updated my Ubuntu to the latest version. After an update, pass stopped seeing a gpg key. So I decided to init the key from scratch and link it to pass, but I failed.

Each time I execute “trezor-gpg init “myUsername” --time=0” it fails with this error:

Maybe someone knows how to solve this issue? I tried to reinstall GnuPG and Trezon-agent, but it didn’t help.

this is the relevant part:

gpg: inserting ownertrust of 6
gpg: checking the trustdb
gpg: marginals needed: 3  completes needed: 1  trust model: pgp
gpg: depth: 0  valid:   1  signed:   0  trust: 0-, 0q, 0n, 0m, 0f, 1u
gpg: keydb_search failed: End of file
gpg: error reading key: End of file

far as I can tell, gpg is failing for its own reason – all lines leading up to this talk about successfully parsing the file.

try downgrading gpg to what you had before

try setting up gpg without Trezor first, see if that fails.
or maybe set up without Trezor first and then with Trezor afterwards, maybe gpg will set itself up correctly and that will allow you to connect Trezor…

I’m using macOS, and I’d like to know how I can input my GPG/PGP key into my Trezor. Could you please provide me with the relevant documentation, please?

Thanks for replying. I’ve managed to fix the issue. Apparently, there was something related to the environment variables my terminal was using. After reinstalling everything (including the terminal console), it is working now.

1 Like