Compromised Device Paranoia

Hi All,

A month ago I purchased a Safe 5 BTC-Only & a regular Safe 3. I set them all up and have moved all my funds to them. Yet my paranoia still persists that one day all the funds will be magically gone, as I’ve heard horror stories of fake trezor devices that came from Russia a few years ago and another story of someone’s Ledger Nano X being completely drained even AFTER it passed a verification genuine check within Ledger Live. I know these two things are outliers as the fake Trezors that came from Russia were not authorized sellers and the same thing with the Ledger coming from an unauthorized seller in Thailand, but my paranoia still persists.

Some further details regarding all the security measures and redundancies I’ve taken are listed below:

  • Brand new laptop with Linux installed that has ONLY ever visited official Trezor site to download suite.

  • All packaging on my Trezor was untampered with, holographic seals, plastics, box rip-tag intact.

  • Ordered directly from official Trezor site.

  • Nobody knows I own crypto or have these devices, I live alone.

  • I use passphrase on both devices and seeds are stored securely and separately from the passphrases.

  • Passphrases and seeds were only ever written down on paper & metal and away from any cameras/webcams and then immediately secured.

  • I have verified the Trezor Suite signatures in the programming before using the Suite via this guide titled “Download & verify Trezor Suite” on the official Trezor Site.

  • Both my Safe 5 and 3 have passed the genuine checks within Suite and I always keep the firmware up-to-date and only download the firmware directly from within the Suite application.

My main concerns below that I’m hoping someone more knowledge/a developer could answer for me to put me more at ease is:

1. Is there anyway a fake Trezor Safe 5 or 3 could still pass the genuine security check within Trezor Suite?

2. I am 99.9% sure when i first plugged in my Trezors there was no firmware installed, and I was only prompted that firmware was installed already after I performed my first initial device setup, wipe and reset on it to confirm my seed phrases were correct. Is there anyway to be for certain that the firmware im using is genuine and not compromised? This is just my paranoia i guess… for reference my Trezors are both currently running firmware 2.9.4 as of today, Jan 2nd 2026.

3. My funds have been on these Trezors for a little over a month now, so I am assuming I have done everything safely and correctly, and that my devices are not compromised because if they were compromised my funds would’ve been drained by now?

I know this seems like a very paranoid post, and i’ll admit it is but I am just looking for the Trezor team to put my mind at ease here as it is my worst fear of waking up to my wallet being drained.

Thank you all very much for the help here.

Hi @prestrin

Thanks for reaching out — your questions are completely valid, and it’s great to see you taking security seriously.

1. Could a fake Trezor Safe 5 or 3 still pass the authenticity check in Trezor Suite?
No — if you purchased your Trezor from our official e-shop or an authorized reseller, you can trust the authenticity of your device.
Every time you connect your Trezor to Trezor Suite, the software performs a built-in authenticity check. If there were anything suspicious or unauthorized about the device, Trezor Suite would immediately alert you and block setup.

2. I noticed the firmware wasn’t installed at first — how do I know what I installed is genuine?
You are absolutely right — Trezors are shipped without firmware preinstalled. This is by design and part of your security.
When you set up your device for the first time, you installed the firmware yourself, and if you downloaded Trezor Suite only from the official source (Trezor Suite App (Official) | Desktop & Web Crypto Management), then the firmware you installed was genuine and signed by SatoshiLabs.

You can always verify your firmware version and latest official releases on this page:
:link: Firmware changelog

3. I’ve had funds on my Trezor for over a month — am I safe?
Yes, assuming you’ve followed the best practices:

  • You generated your wallet backup on the device itself and kept it offline.
  • You never typed your wallet backup into any computer, phone, or website.
  • You set a PIN code on the device.
  • You haven’t shared or exposed your backup (12/20/24-word seed) with anyone.

Then yes — your funds are secure. If the device or firmware had been tampered with, or if your wallet backup had been compromised, it’s very likely your funds would have been moved already. The fact that they remain untouched is a strong indicator that your setup is safe.

We understand your concerns — security is the core of what we do. Your vigilance is exactly what helps keep your assets protected. If you ever have doubts, feel free to reach out or double-check official links via trezor.io.

1 Like

Thank you very much!

1 Like