Problem with Yoroi/ADA and Trezor Model T

Wow, unexpectedly your answer there solved the issue for me. Essentially I must have done exactly what you said. When first setting up my wallet and being prompted for the passphrase I had mistakenly interpreted it as “create a password for your wallet” and entered a password (twice, to confirm it). Unknowingly, I had then created a new hidden wallet on my Trezor. Entering that “password” now as passphrase does indeed restore the correct wallet.

Weird feeling how it goes from “I’m 99% sure I have done nothing wrong here” to that it was indeed a user error. This was one of the first few times I used my Trezor T and I must have been unfamiliar enough with the Trezor connect window to misinterpret it as related to the wallet and it simply asking for a password. (Had I seen it today it could never have happened). I saved the password, but in my memory I had only pre-created it and never used it as a Trezor connected wallet doesn’t require a spending password (“I made this password but I know I never used it”). And I knew I only had one single passphrase that I had knowingly used on my Trezor, so the idea of me having typed a wrong one was simply not there. But turns out it was indeed an inexperienced user error after all.

Well, that is a relief. Thank you very much for your help!

For anyone else with the same issue, try entering any password that you might have used when creating your wallet as your passphrase in Trezor, you might have created a new hidden wallet without knowing it.

2 Likes

I’ve seen similar issues talked about on here but I cannot get mine resolved so I’m sorry but I feel like a need to create a new topic.

I had my ADA on Exodus and was using Exodus until July when I got my Trezor. Then I linked my Trezor with Yoroi and sent my ADA out of exodus. I did a test transaction in and out and everything worked, so I transferred all my ADA into Trezor/Yoroi and staked it.

Between when I staked my ADA and now, I have only made additional transfers into my account; nothing outgoing. Also during this time, Trezor Suite was launched, taking me from web-based to software based Trezor. Also, a few weeks ago I decided to test the backup of my Trezor seed phrase and it did not work. I still had access to the Trezor software so I transferred out all my BTC to a second hardware wallet. Then there was a software update to Trezor and I no-longer had access without re-inputting my seed phrases. It took me some time but I found a typo in my seed phrase and I was able to access my Trezor again and my Yoroi wallet.

Fast forward to yesterday and I went to transfer out some of my ADA and suddenly I am being asked for a passphrase, but I never set up a passphrase as far as I can remember. I keep a crypto journal and I never wrote down a passphrase. I use a password keeper to keep and generate my passwords and have no record of one there either. If I had set up a passphrase, I would have had a record of it for when I transferred ADA out of my wallet during my initial test or when I staked it, right? Now I am stuck. I have tried every password option I know as a passphrase and nothing is working, so I see my ADA in my Yoroi wallet and have no ability to move it.

Was there any issue with the move of Trezor from web-based to software passed that could have caused an issue? How about in the latest Trezor software update? Are there any known issues with the integration of Trezor with Yoroi? I’m lost. Please help!

Thank you.

Hi @gordoman07,

If you’ve never used a Passphrase, just leave it blank when prompted and you’ll access your Standard wallet. This is the default operation when you connect your Trezor to any third party wallet (via Trezor Connect).

1 Like

I have done this, and it opens up my wallet in Trezor Suite (which is empty, as the only crypto of concern is ADA in Yoroi), but it does not work to access my funds in Yoroi.

If I turn off the passphrase setting in Trezor, and go to Yoroi to move my funds, it tells me “Change address staking rights do not match the current account.”

This leads me to believe that the Yoroi wallet is passphrase protected, but nothing I have tried as the passphrase has worked and I get the same message.

You should use the web with 3rd party wallets like Yoroi or ADAlite, not Trezor Suite. When you connect one of these 3rd party wallets to Trezor they bring you to the Trezor connect web page, where you connect your Trezor device, then you’re brought back to the 3rd party wallet.

If Yoroi asks you for a Passhrase on their site, it is not a Trezor Passphrase but a Passphrase to your Yoroi account.

About Yoroi, I’ve heard that they did some changes recently and that it affects Trezor, so you should consider using ADAlite instead.

1 Like

When I click to submit a transaction on Yoroi, it brings me to a a separate Trezor tab to input a passphrase, so it is due to the Trezor passphrase setting. When I turn the passphrase option off for the Trezor and I click to submit a transaction on Yoroi, I don’t get the passphrase pop-up anymore but I get instruction on my Trezor device saying “Change address staking rights do not match the current account” followed by a staking key hash and a change amount.

Do you think there is any chance this is a Trezor or Yoroi technical issue and not the case of me mistakenly setting a passphrase that I know nothing about?

I think that particular message about staking is a Yoroi issue. See the link to another post that I provided in my previous post.

If you didn’t use a Passphrase to create a Hidden wallet in Trezor, then you can skip it when prompted.

did you, at any point, verify the receiving address on Trezor?

It took me some time but I found a typo in my seed phrase and I was able to access my Trezor again and my Yoroi wallet.

Are you sure that you recovered your actual seed?
When you connect your Trezor to the Suite now, do you see the right transaction history, including your outgoing transactions that you made previously? Is this on an active account, i.e., can you display a receiving address for these accounts on your Trezor?

There is 1 in 8 chance for 12-word seed and a 1 in 256 chance for a 24-word seed, that you corrected a wrong typo, and got a valid but different seed phrase.
If that were the case, you could recover the seed into Trezor, but the recovered account would be a completely unused wallet.

Fast forward to yesterday and I went to transfer out some of my ADA and suddenly I am being asked for a passphrase

When recovering though Suite, passphrase gets enabled by default. As @Petosiris points out, you can simply not enter it (leave the fields blank and press Enter), or you can go to Suite settings and disable passphrase to get rid of the prompt.

If I had set up a passphrase, I would have had a record of it for when I transferred ADA out of my wallet during my initial test or when I staked it, right?

Maybe? Trezor remembers the passphrase until you disconnect, so if you did the test transfers, AND used a passphrase, you’d enter it once and then maybe not again.

Also, did you at the time of the test show the ADA address on your Trezor?

Was there any issue with the move of Trezor from web-based to software passed that could have caused an issue?

Passphrase gets enabled by default now. Otherwise, no.

How about in the latest Trezor software update? Are there any known issues with the integration of Trezor with Yoroi? I’m lost. Please help!

There aren’t. A lot of Yoroi users complain about a similar problem, but as far as we could determine, it is always something to do with wrong passphrase.

You say that you tried every possible passphrase. Now it’s maybe time to check that you got the right seed.

Updated situation…

I added my Cardano wallet to my mobile Yoroi app using the QR code scanner, and so now my Yoroi app shows my Cardano balances correctly (but in read only mode).

Then I disconnected my Cardano wallet, which I can’t move funds from, from the Yoroi web app and then re-added my Trezor wallet to the web-app with the passphrase setting off… and it’s empty.

Then I turned the Trezor passphrase setting back on and went to add the Trezor wallet to the Yoroi web app again, which requires the passphrase… and now I’m left guessing again as to what that passphrase could be.

This leaves me now again trying to figure out what my passphrase is, right?

Some thoughts I have had about recovering the passphrase, and let me know if you think these are legit possibilities or dead-ends, are:

1. Contacting LastPass to see if they can get me a longer history of generated passwords going back a few months than what it shows me in my software (for someone reason the generated password history is only going back a few days)
  2. Contacting Apple or finding a way to get a deep copy-and-paste history on my computer from a few months ago

Anything else you can think of? I’ve made peace with the fact that my wallet is probably lost so now it’s just trying to do the impossible.

Thanks for your help.

@matejcik In response to your point that maybe I didn’t have the right seed phrase…

My trezor has never shown me any ADA… I just assumed it was not supported in the Trezor Suite and that the Trezor was just used as a supplemental security device for using Cardano on Yoroi. Maybe this was wrong and a sign that something was wrong if ADA is supposed to show up in Trezor Suite?

I think you could be onto something because now my Trezor doesn’t have any balance (which is to be expected since I removed my BTC before there was an issue) but it also doesn’t have a transaction history, which is unexpected since there used to be BTC on my Trezor, unless this is also simply related to the missing passphrase issue.

It’s not, and I never said that. Not sure where you got the idea.

This would indicate a problem with your seed.

Earlier, you write:

Did you use Suite, or old Wallet (at wallet.trezor.io), or other software, to do this “transfer out my BTC”?

Try opening the same software with your Trezor connected, enter the same passphrase (or no passphrase if you previously didn’t use it) and see if you can get your transaction history. Confirm that this software is really using your Trezor, by showing a receive address on Trezor.

(e.g., Electrum would show your transaction history, but if you tried to show address on Trezor, it would fail if the wrong Trezor is connected. Some other software might work, but the address on Trezor would not match the address on your PC.)

If you are able to do this (= get transaction history, show address on Trezor), then you need to figure out the right passphrase for the ADA account.

If you’re not able to do this, so either (a) no transaction history comes up, or (b) transaction history is displayed but you can’t verify on Trezor, then you are using the wrong seed and no amount of passphrase guessing will get you back your ADA

Hi.

Same problems as above but unresolved.

A summary:

1. Trezor T wallet on Yoroi.
  2. Correct balance and transaction history.
  3. The Trezor T Yoroi wallet is able to receive but not send ADA. “Staking rights do not match account” error.
  4. When I try to verify receiving address I get “Stake rights associated with this address do not match your account.”
  5. I have never used a passphrase to create hidden wallets.
  6. The seed has been checked and is correct.
  7. In Trezor Suite it says Standard Wallet.

I’ve tried everything I can think of over the last 3 months or so and still unresolved. I’m not a noob either ha ha.

Yoroi support hopeless unfortunately.

Anyone with a good idea?

thanks

@Nanook
are you able to see your balance and Tx history when using another interface such as AdaLite ?

I wish! Unfortunately it says zero in Adalite.