Update to Syscoin block book

Have used Syscoins native UTXO wallet Pali to put sys into Trezor. Now when it prompts to export to Trezor Suite/Bridge to access the hardware account it fails.

My understanding is that this is because the URL of the blockbook has been changed. I see in the Trezor-Firmware github that this has been fixed, but firmware update to March 2023 for my Trezor One does not resolve this. My understanding is that this is a Trezor issue per se, nothing Syscoin or Pali teams can do to resolve this. Can we get on this, the fix was committed Jan 2023.

As a side note this idea that while the assets are technically safe the idea that a change in Web address for a resource makes access to it seemingly impossible is of overall concern. I will note that the Trezor will hold your syscoin but alas is not “officially” supported so you don’t see in in Suite and thus cannot override the blockbook setting.

Please resolve or workarounds

Deep

1 Like

wondering why you think this…?

The blockbook URLs do live in the firmware repository, but firmware is actually not using this information. Your Trezor doesn’t even know that the internet exists, so much the less an URL of something. That is all handled on the wallet side.

Again, wondering why you think this.

The blockbook config is there to enable Trezor Connect to build transactions by itself (and for possible Suite support). But Pali Wallet seems to be the official hot wallet which means it’s doing its own UTXO management. I would be dismayed to learn that they throw away all the information they already have from their own backend and delegate tx construction to Trezor Connect, necessarily throwing away any illusion of coin control.

(In particular, PaliWallet has its own source for the blockbook URL.)

There is one plausible way of what might be going on:
Pali seems to be using Connect v8, which is in maintenance mode, so it’s possible that there is the old blockbook URL in the baked in config.
Since firmwares 2.3.0 / 1.9.0, so for quite some time now, the host wallet is required to provide previous transactions in addition to the inputs/outputs being signed.
If Pali is not providing these explicitly, Connect tries to be helpful and fetch them by itself. This would then try to connect to the old blockbook and fail.

Even if that’s the case, this is still mostly up to PaliWallet team:

• if they find out that the Connect version they are using has outdated URLs, they have the option of updating to a version with the good ones
  • to avoid relying on Trezor’s repository, they can provide previous tx data, which, again, they already have from their own backends

To put it very bluntly, I would be more concerned about a project that changes the URL to a key resource and decomissions the old one without fully verifying that everything works as it should.

1 Like

Ok this all makes sense. My conclusions were based only on what I was finding, and I fully acknowledge not understanding all the finer details, and finding the URL change in the Trezor GIT. I appreciate your detailed responses.

Deep.

1 Like

And I agree on this point. But there was a corporate takeover involved and seemingly very abrupt decision making on a few points in this process.

D

1 Like