Trezor trying to scam me?

@Artur

the ypub that you recorded 3 years ago, shows that those addresses never received or send anything (I also checked in Electrum):

https://btc1.trezor.io/xpub/ypub6XHAbPAE6CYmGsjvmNoN8Fmpum3rgNwyyBgTgXctxhNeDDLb5zcYpcEmGaRF1S3viX5LTyFqsU5XKrrtiUhn1PWZENX42PdosZURj9qLZrW?tokens=derived

The address that you mentioned in your very first post, still has BTC in it and is not part of that ypub :
https://btc1.trezor.io/address/35Ekftw9WBPNj5qeLzKkRNYYUh5cnSmajK

Never shown, because I then activated passphraze. Honestly thIs support is awful

@forgi
the ypub that he recorded 3 years ago ,shows he seed is right ,so there is no wrong seed matter.

1 Like

so that is your standard wallet without transactions, then you activated passphrase and now you are not entering correct passphrase. Your standard wallet and passphrase wallet have different xpub (which you did not provide)

You can check your passphrase wallet xpub here at anytime: Trezor Bitcoin Explorer

Anyway, you mentioned you ordered another Trezor, so try to recover there…

@forgi
the picture shows 3 years age his ypub are the same to the ypub now.
so he restore his standard wallet right

1 Like

It’s extremely unlikely.

The algorithms in use guarantee that if you provide the same seed and the same passphrase as input, you’ll get back the same wallet as an output. As I previously pointed out, we have a battery of automated tests that verify that this is indeed the case.

It’s super unlikely, but not entirely impossible, that a bug here could affect only some seeds / passphrases – after all, we can’t test every single one.

However, if that was the case, the problem would be reproducible: you could reliably show that upgrading to, e.g., version 1.9.1, breaks the result, AND downgrading back to 1.9.0 un-breaks it again.

I am not sure if OP had tried downgrading, it is definitely worth a shot. However, in the history of Trezor, there are no cases like this. Downgrading may help restore compatibility with a 3rd-party wallet, but it doesn’t change your addresses.

It’s also extremely unlikely, but not entirely impossible, that there’s some sort of hardware glitch that exists for as long as you don’t erase the seed. For instance, in a very unlucky coincidence, a bit might get flipped at backup time, and an incorrect word would be stored and shown on screen.

If this happened, you would find out if you tried a dry-run recovery, because you would be unable to ever complete it.

This is also definitely not OP’s case, because they have successfully restored their seed and got back the same ypub as before. This pretty much confirms that their seed phrase is right.

This kind of glitch can’t really happen with passphrase: the passphrase is never permanently stored on device, and I can’t think of a plausible mechanism that would consistently corrupt the passphrase in just the right way (so everything seems to work fine for 3 years), but suddenly stop working when you upgrade the firmware and recover.

(Again, this could in theory be caused by the firmware being different – but, again, the situation should correct itself if you downgrade.)

In conclusion, the answer is technically yes, but really no. Check your passphrase.

Human brain (and muscle memory) is a funny device. An equivalent of a bit-flip can and does happen to humans: you type the same thing for years and then one day it … just … does a different thing, and you might not even notice.

The best defence against hardware wallet problems is to get two of them from different vendors and cross-check the results. That of course only works if you do it from the start.

2 Likes

How can I downgrade then?

@Artur https://wiki.trezor.io/Firmware_downgrade

When this happens, Trezor doesn’t recognize the Passphrase you input with an existing Hidden wallet and therefore creates a new Hidden wallet for you with the Passphrase you enter. So it means you’re entering your existing Passphrase wrong. Note that it must be entered exactly as you created it, letters are case sensitive and any space counts as a valid character too.

No. Please calm down, we’re only trying to help you here.

1 Like

Nothing helped, one more advise from “support”
I have nothing to lose, has anybody had heard about this service? Can I trust him or not https://www.walletrecoveryservices.com/
Seriously, if I could only understand what I had done wrong

@Artur we cannot give you any recommendation on such services due to security reason, you can only do your own research and use such service at your own risk

Have you tried to downgrade to show that the issue is reproducible? If yes, and it still the same, it shows it is not a FW issue as you were saying.

It is the passpshrase.

passphrase is correct

How did I use a wallet for 3 years, can anybody answer that? To make a transaction, what did I type? Is it 25th passphraze or it could had been another passphraze? I just don’t understand anything, if I did know my mistake

I don’t know how much information you provided them, but I highly doubt they could crack anything, here is the mathematical explanation: https://blog.trezor.io/is-your-passphrase-strong-enough-d687f44c63af

this does not rule out the possibility that you are typing something else than what you have been for 3 years

Why is it not working with Ledger or Electrum that you tried before then? You can try other wallets too.

@forgi
I want to ask a question, is the address of the eth wallet case sensitive?
If a wallet is upgraded, is it possible that the case of the eth receiving address may change without affecting the transaction?

@BtcLtc no, ETH address is not case sensitive

@forgi
So if a wallet is upgraded, will the letter case of the eth address in it change?
Artur’s passphrase seems to be an eth wallet address.

no, nothing will change, FW update cannot affect your coins, they are on blockchain not on the device.

He is also looking for BTC…I suggested different wallets several times, if it is not working then it is pretty clear…

there is no specific eth/btc/ whatever passphrase, it is simply a new hidden wallet it can contain any coins.

1 Like

@forgi
What I mean is, if a software wallet is upgraded, is there such a case change in the address display:
Original address 1
0x838bF50d3d6A8329866c8Bc69a7989555736cA80
Address 2 after upgrade
0x838bf50d3d6A8329866c8Bc69A7989555736cA80
If possible, it might be the reason.
He used address 1 as a passphrase, and perhaps there was a case change, which caused him to copy it again and enter a new wallet.

@BtcLtc as i already said, the answer is no

I don’t know what you mean by that (was this mentioned anywhere?), It does not make sense to use your address as a passphrase…

even if he used address for the passphrase, passphrase cannot change…so what you are saying is not relevant and if he is copying/typing something different then o course it is opening new wallet.