Shortcut for not having to confirming the long code? Third Part Wallet Safe?

Hello. I have two questions if you don’t mind. Thank you in advance. 1) Every time I attach my Trezor wallet to my computer, I enter my PIN then I have to confirm the address which is an enormous string of letters and numbers, then hit “confirm” on the Trezor unit itself. Is there a easier way than going through tedious process (and the characters are so small on the Trezor that I have to use a magnifying glass to see them)? I saw that there is an option for a QR code. How does that work? Can that be used instead of going through this long code every time I attach my Trezor to my computer?

1. I bought some “other crypto” that is apparently not able to be stored on my Trezor. When I try to deposit this other crypto, the Trezor a pop-up appears and wants to “redirect me to a different wallet”, Is it safe to deposit my other crypto into this “different wallet”? Do I get as much protection for this “other crypto” on this different wallet as I would if the crypto was stored directly on my Trezor device? If not, what do you recommend I do to keep this different crypto safe (ie. purchase another cold storage wallet that supports this different crypto)? Any other suggestions would be much appreciated. THANK YOU AGAIN !

Hi @gatorvet96
You can use receiving address even without confirming it on your device however it is strongly recommend to check if the receiving address in your wallet interface is matching the one on your Trezor device because you could be on some phishing site or your host device could be infected.
The QR code is just an alternative option. You can provide it to the sender instead of the address so the bar code can be scanned instead of copied.

Regarding your second question I recommend you to have a look on our list of supported coins which includes supported apps/wallets that you can pair your Trezor with.
You can use some standalone software wallets where your private keys are generated directly online however you can never achieve same level of security while using hot wallet (which are much more vulnerable to attacks) rather than cold wallet such as Trezor where your private keys are generated and always securely kept offline in your device.

Thank you. However, some of the terminology you are using is foreign to me. I am very new to this, so please be patient. What do you mean by “device” in the first sentence? What do you mean by “host device”? When you say “The QR code is just an alternative option. You can provide it to the sender instead of the address so the bar code can be scanned instead of copied.”, — can you please be more specific and descriptive? I don’t understand. Also the “sender” is me sending the crypto to my Trezor One Wallet, so I do not understand what you mean by “sender”.

As for my second question, I looked at the link for list of supported coins as you suggested. But I don’t understand, so let me give you an example. I see that Cardano (ADA) is not a supported coin on the Trezor One but the Wallets listed are AdaLite and Yoroi. So, if I were to purchase ADA ( a coin apparently not supported on the Trezor One), and send it to AdaLite or Yoroi, does AdaLite and Yoroi give me the same protection to store the ADA as if I purchased Bitcoin (which IS supported by the Trezoe One) and stored the Bitcoin directly on the Trezor One? THANK YOU AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP.

It’s usually enough to check the start and end of the address. The end of the address is control bits so the two need to line up. security - Checking the first and last characters of a cryptocurrency address? - Bitcoin Stack Exchange

The QR code option will be offered by the Trezor when generating a device, however this won’t help with that you’re trying to do: double check the address for manipulation by malware. So it’s still best practice to confirm at least the start/end 4-5 characters of any address.

Adalite and Yoroi would in theory connect with the Trezor to generate an address. So the coins would be controlled by the Trezor, using the 3rd party wallet as an interface for performing transactions, making addresses etc. In this case you are trusting these wallets to give you the true address generated by your Trezor, as well as sending coins to the address you enter and not some other address. So no, you’re not getting the same level of protection and you should ‘do your own research’ with regard to the trustworthiness of those wallets, just like you did your research on the trustworthiness of Trezor :wink:

1 Like

Which wallet are you using on your computer? If this really happens every time, that’s not standard behavior for Trezor Wallet or Suite.

Some 3rd party wallets do it though.

I thought it’s normal that the Trezor ask the user to confirm the address shown on the Trezor and the desktop/web interface is the same …?

if you are getting a new receiving address, then yes.

But the OP says:

I read that as “this is something that happens automatically after connecting”
which is definitely not standard

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I have the Trezor One and I am using the Trezor Suite. I hope that you can guide me since it is very inconvenient to compare new long lines of letters and numbers every time I plug in my Trezor One Wallet to transfer the crypto I buy from the exchange to the Wallet (this Crypto is one that the Trezor One DOES support). I would appreciate any help you can give me. Thank You !

why do you plug in your Trezor just to transfer from an exchange?

can you please describe steps you take, and at which point the confirmation appears?