Lost access to my new Trezor Safe 3 wallet

I guess I’m going to start this post like so many others who have come before me. I’ve lost access to a very sizeable wallet and I’m just lost. I’m reaching out for anyone who has suggestions. Let me begin:

I changed my Ledger wallet to a Trezor Safe 3 a couple of months ago. I set up a recovery phrase but have since learned that the recovery phrase will be of no use if I can’t gain access to my wallet. I set up a hidden wallet with 3 coins. BTC, ETH and SOL. I transferred the coin successfully from my Ledger. I also took the extra step of reconfirming my recovery phrase just as an added precaution.

When I log in to my wallet, I enter the passphrase twice as per usual. Once completed, I see the three coin names listed but with no assets in them. In addition, I had renamed my hidden wallet using 3 letters but now my wallet name shows, “Hidden Wallet #1”. Under the “All Activity” tab, it shows “New Wallet Created” I would take that to mean that I had somehow entered my passphrase incorrectly right? I have disconnected and reconnected over and over with nothing different resulting. In the top left corner, it only shows that one “hidden wallet #1” and not the wallet I renamed.

So first, let me ask, if I entered the wrong password into Trezor to unlock, it woulld not allow me to gain access right? So we know that is not the issue. That only leaves the passphrase and I have only ever used just this one phrase. Let me backup a second. Tonight when all this started, I believe I may have mistyped the passphrase which would have created a new hidden wallet right? I then disconnected, closed the app and restarted and made sure I spelled it correctly but I am still not getting access to this renamed wallet. Can anyone help?

Needless to say, this has my wife and I’s life savings on it and we are scared to death right now. Thanks again for the long read.

Edited by Petosiris: removed revealing info about passphrase.

1 Like

hidden wallets are not remembered by trezor suite, unless you clicked the remember button/slider.

So when you go back it in it wouldn’t necessarily be there.

Have you checked the SOL address that trezor suite shows now against the address that you sent to from ledger? Do they match?

If you haven’t changed or reloaded your seed phrase, and the SOL addresses don’t match, it’s highly likely that the passphrase is incorrect.
Have you checked on solscan that your funds are still on the account and not stolen?

So the trezor has no previous knowledge of the passphrase, it will generate a totally different wallet for each passphrase, it only has to be very slightly different.

I was somehow hoping that your response would be different than the dozens I have previously read about in these forums. To answer a couple of your questions, I checked the ETH address of the previous receive when I transferred to the Trezor against the receive address today and it is different. The most notable points that indicate I’m in the wrong wallet are:

• Hidden wallet name does not match the custom name I previously gave it

• I was prompted to enter my hidden wallet password twice.

• Under “All Activity” there is nothing there aside from the new hidden wallet I created

Let me ask this. If I am in a new hidden wallet, why does it show the same 3 assets (btic, eth, sol) that I setup in original wallet? Does it do that automatically or wouldn’t it have no asset names and I woulld have to set them up?

Lastly, I have read that as a last alternative, the Trezor can be brute forced? Is this true and where do you find the guy that does this lol? I don’t know of anything else to try. I mean, I could enter variations of my passphrase but it was just one long word. I made it that was on purpose for an old guy like me to remember it. I even broke the cardinal rule and listed it in a password manager the day I created it because I didn’t want to take any chances.

I had to console my wife (and myself to some degree) last night as I just sat there dumbfounded. I just don’t know what to do from here. Suggestions?

I want to ask renaming hidden wallets. I clearly remember renaming the wallet and saved that name. Today, I was trying variations of the passphrase just for the hell of it and decided to rename a hidden wallet. When I clicked on rename, It pops up with

“Save Labels: Select a cloud storage provider to sync your labels or save them locally. Your data is encrypted by Trezor. Drop Box, Google Drive, Local file System”

When I renamed the original hidden folder, I would have had to select one of these methods to rename it? I don’t even remember seeing this window before. Is there any chance that I did something wrong by renaming it and it’s not coming up? If I selected Local File system for example, where would I find that on my PC? I’m just trying to figure out options here.

The name of your wallet and what coins are enabled have nothing to do with your passphrase, those are just Suite settings, or labels when it comes to names.

You most likely mistyped your passphrase the first time you created it and now you are accessing different wallet because any new passphrase will open a new wallet.

The only way back to your coins is to find out what you typed in the first time (when you received the coins)

4 Likes

I take it you checked the standard wallet?
The wallet addresses are only determined by the seed and a passphrase (if 1 is used)
If you pair the trezor with MetaMask, you can see multiple addresses in a list that are all associated with the seed (during the initial pairing) I suppose there is an outside chance you sent to 1 of those.

But I think this is probably unlikely…
There are various derivation paths that will bring up more/different addresses, but again, not sure this will help.

You should have learned the terminology better.

1. There is no such thing as a recovery phrase. There is the 12 words recovery seed.
  2. There is no workflow to insert the passphrase twice for the hidden wallet.
  3. There is no password to access the Trezor, just a PIN.

Labeling the Trezor and its accounts is irrelevant and just a convenience.

It has use because you can import/recreate your wallet elsewhere with your seed phrase also called recovery seed.

To do that you also need to know those passwords, because you used them in conjunction with the seed phrase. If you wrote those down then you can recover your wallet, either software wallet or another hardware wallet (this doesn’t need to be another Trezor device, any hardware wallet will do)

If you entered the wrong password you would be creating a new hidden wallet. So, if you see a emplty hidden wallet that means that you’re entering the wrong password.

I misspoke when I referenced a recovery phrase. I meant the recovery seed which in my case is 24 words and of course the 25th word would be the passphrase.

As stubborn, as I am, I do understand that, even though I may have created the original wallet with the past phrase, I have at hand, it only matters which wallet I was using when I received the funds. Since I did the receive on a different day, it’s entirely possible I entered the wrong passphrase, and deposited the crypto to that wallet. Now, even though I am trying to access the wallet, I created originally, none of that matters, because it only matters which wallet I was in when I received, the crypto.

. I am in touch with a service To recover, said crypto, but I’ve been too busy feeling sorry for myself to act just yet. It’s brutal. Seriously brutal. The recovery fee is tens of thousands so let me cry for a little longer lol. Thanks for all the responses and clarification.

Just trying to eliminate any other possibilities. I also read that others have tried restoring a firmware version. I mention that because even though I just purchased this Trezor Safe 3 about a month ago, When I opened the app yesterday, it prompted me to do an update. Not sure if it was just a software update for firmware for the device. Does anyone have details on how to check firmware versions or revert back to a previous version?

Seed phrase and recovery seed are referring to the same thing (also called Mnemonic Code). Most of the time 12 or 24 words. This is a standard. This standard is called: BIP 39 Wordlist and BIP stands for: Bitcoin Improvement Proposal, there are over 300 BIP’s (standards in the crypto community - not all proposals gets adopted).

I wouldn’t recommend this. If you still want to do this than Trezor has tutorials out there depending on your device, see links below:

I thought I would update everyone on the outcome. After trying many versions of the passphrase myself, I bit the bullet and used a company called KeychainX. It cost me 20% and I can tell you that it amounted to an average annual salary here in Cali. Very painful but the alternative of losing everything would have been worse. Insane that once they had all of the information from me that they needed, they responded back within minutes telling me that they found it. Again very painful but this is a lesson in being detail-oriented. When you are going to do a transaction of ANY kind, CONFIRM that you are in the correct wallet.

In my case, I set up the hidden wallet one day and funded it on another day. Why is this important? If you don’t put any assets in the wallet the day you create it, if you’re not EXTREMELY careful, you may put those assets into a new hidden wallet. When Trezor Suite prompts you to check your device to make sure that they passphrase is correct, STOP and read it very carefully. Double, triple check that you are in the same wallet you originally created. Trezor does not tell you if you’re in the right wallet. You spell it wrong and it will just make you a new wallet and the agony may begin.

This was an expensive lesson but hopefully the last one with this wallet.

Happy to help. Stay safe.

For those high costs did they also explain to you what you did wrong? It’s insane, but I hope a reminder to you to write everything down, that means your seed phrase and your passwords (if you used the hidden wallet feature).

Better yet, puch the seed phrase in a metal backup, like the Trezor metal keep or Cryptotag Zeus.

If you wrote those down and made the appropriate backups then something like this will never ever happen to you again. This seems like an expensive lesson which can be avoided in the future.

This UI and UX problem is being worked on. That’s why I also don’t use the hidden wallet feature. Nobody is going to guess your seed phrase. But indeed, it’s problematic and I hope Trezor improves this feature.

I went back to edit and add the following but couldn’t add it. Just a few more words:

Remember that on day 1 when I created the hidden wallet, I DID actually create the passphrase correctly. On day 2, I entered the pincode and passphrase to open the app as usual and transferred the assets from my old wallet to the new Trezor Safe 3. After I had transferred the crypto, I put away the wallet for safekeeping. More recently as btc and eth have skyrocketed, I went back to check on the value. I entered the passphrase exactly as I created it above but alas, it was not there. This again, is because even though I created the passphrase correctly the first day, on the day I transferred the funds, I entered it incorrectly but there is no indication of that in the software. That of course is when I panicked and how we got were we are today.

Please, never ever share your passwords here. I have flagged your post so that a moderator can edit your post to hide this. You’re very irresponsible.

Also, if you use hidden wallets also always backup those passwords, meaning writing those down on a piece of paper.

Trezor and most other wallets use the standard 12-24 seed phrase. I don’t understand why yours is 40 words? This seems unlikely, because it’s a standard, see info: https://trezor.io/learn/a/seed-backup-12-vs-24-words

Indeed, I have said this multiple times. It’s not needed and the UI/UX of Trezor Suite is horrible with this.