General crypto discussion

The European Union (EU) has made another step to regulate the crypto market, with a new law. The law is expected to come in effect sometime late next year.

Here are a couple of quotes from a CNN article:

The new law gives issuers of crypto assets and providers of related services a “passport” to serve clients across the EU from a single base, while meeting capital and consumer protection rules.

EU states will be the main regulators for crypto companies, though the bloc’s securities watchdog ESMA will have powers to step in if investor protection or financial stability is threatened, lawmaker Urtasun said.

My opinion is that this is just a first new step of several to regulate the crypto market in Europe. And when the EU blames the volatility and “wild west” conditions, it’s just an excuse for implementing these regulations. The volatility has other reasons, IMO, and therefore these regulations won’t help remedy the volatility at all. What the EU really wants is to control the crypto market.

1 Like

Everything is going up just now. Bitcoin is still only at 80% of what it was a few months ago though.

Coin-values-2022-08-11

2 Likes

Heii team

Just found this article. Is this a new method?

Anymore info or suggestions to mitigate

Looking forward to answers

Have a nice one ppl. :muscle:

1 Like

Well I now have read the full article and realized that the title is misleading.

Even though we can consider the method used a new way of trying to retrieve info from the hardware.

This method, in my understanding, is only possible because the team at keychainx had a lot of info on the original passphrase,

the team searched an ample space of characters and words, but the mask and algorithm took approximately two months too long. The team had to change tactics and look at the TREZOR owner’s hints and find a pattern. The pattern used small/capital characters as the first password character. Then several lower-case characters, and then limited combinations of numbers (birth dates, months, pin codes to safe etc.). Two unique characters were also used, so the team had to add that into account

They had a lot of help to get to the original passphrase.

3 Likes

of course it is very misleading :slight_smile:

if you provide someone with full seed, address and so much extra info and hints then it is “easy” to crack. But that is not a normal attack.

The client gave the KeyChainX team 5 wallet addresses he had used in the past, a list of hints, and the 24-word mnemonic.

Also, this is about passphrase as such not really related to Trezor, other wallets use passphrase too.

4 Likes

Are you from Norway, @rimaS? Reason I ask is because I’ve seen you use the greeting “Hei” often and as far as I know only norwegians use that. Swedes and danes use “Hej”.

1 Like

Hi (just for laughs) @Petosiris

Actually no, I am Mozambican and also lived in South Africa where I spoke Afrikaans wich is an old version of dutch.
Maybe it comes from there.

What did you think of the hack on the article I shared by the way?

:muscle:

1 Like

Hei @rimaS,

I knew that Afrikaans in South Africa was a type of dutch, which dutch immigrants brought with them centuries ago. Interesting that “hei” is in that language. It may’ve come from Norway to Holland sometime. Dutch has taken up many words from other languages and have lots of German and Scandinavian words.

As for the hack article, I think the owner of that Hidden wallet was lucky to get his funds back after he forgot his Passphrase. As you said, they received some info that helped them, which made the hacking task easier, but 24 hours is impressive anyway. I see the company have GPU power to do these kind of jobs and if I was in that customer’s shoes I’d maybe do the same.

But I cannot read about lost Passphrases without thinking a) poor guy/gal and b) it’d be avoided if more care was made to safekeep the Passphrase. I don’t know why so many people don’t take more care of their Passphrase(s) but I suspect many beginners don’t know how critical it is to write down and safekeep this info. And then we’re back to the old truth about not using functions you don’t know how work. I can’t say that enough times.

3 Likes

@Petosiris

Couldn’t agree more.

It’s remarkable the amount of reports of lost seeds, passphrases etc,
The number of report cases of people who don’t do research and learn how these things work is surprising.

:thinking: :man_facepalming:

1 Like

It’s called the Eternal September or Always September syndrome, I believe. :wink: It’s how it is with all new technology. I remember the same happened when Windows 3.0 became widely adopted by people who finally could use a computer because of the graphic interface that lowered the technical threshold for non-geeks and enthusiasts.

1 Like

Heiii team

Just found this article Honeybadger conf.

Very interesting stuff coming up.

Check out this article on Bitcoin Magazine: Recap Baltic Honeybadger 2022 - Bitcoin Magazine - Bitcoin News, Articles and Expert Insights

Great stuff keep the good work.
Excelente we prioritize SECURITY and PRIVACY

Keep it up!!

:+1::muscle:

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing this very interesting news, @rimaS!
I’ve read a little about CoinJoin and welcome the added privacy it gives to transactions.

I look forward to being able to skip lengthy and annoying Know Your Customer (KYC) processes in Invity too. I’ve had several experiences of KYC processes literally taking days to complete. Some companies are worse than others. For intance, when I send proof of ID (passport, mostly) they email me and say (I paraphrase) – sorry, but your ID was not accepted, due to [image is not clear, image wasn’t captured in real time, image is not showing all four corners, and more]. Then I try to redo the ID process and it fails again, for another reason … Add to this frustration, that I have to do this for every new coin, because Invity shares only the explicit coin receive address and that’s of course different from coin to coin. There’s currently no option to let Invity share your XPUB address instead.

It was also a great article and I noticed that the end mentioned BTC Prague conference in June next year, where SatoshiLabs is once of the main partners. I’d really like to be there, if I can. Then it’d perhaps also be possible to visit the SatoshiLabs headquarter, or at least meet some of their people at the conference.

Another thing, should we move this thread to General crypto discussion ?
You’re a Distinguished user now (congrats, BTW!) so you can probably do that yourself. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Heii @Petosiris

Another thing, should we move this thread to General crypto discussion?
You’re a Distinguished user now (congrats, BTW!) so you can probably do that yourself.

Thanks but even though I am a distinguished user but I don’t know how to move the topic or even if I can do so. :joy:

Coijoin seems the way to go for the time being, we will see what can out as regulations specially from the US and after the tornado cash situation.
We will have to wait and see and continue to inform and educate people about this.
As for KYC I consider it to be quite annoying and a great set back (I feel that the majority doesn’t care at all about their data). It is not considered relevant.
I would love to have gotin in when exchanges didn’t ask for kyc. Nowadays in some cases kyc is very extreme, video and voice recording…
A good intermediate setting would be a way of having one unique Identifier link to your data so you don’t share the actual date…
Wich I know it is being worked on.
We will see

Btc prague has a great panel very tempting.

:+1::crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Hi all,

I moved the three previous messages to this thread, because this is the preferred place for chatting amongst forum users and presenting news and articles outside the forum. The other forum threads should be used if one has a question or need help about Trezor.

Bitcoin is cheap today. Ethereum is also cheap now, after the merge:

crypto-2022-09-19

3 Likes

BTC is hovering around the $19K mark, mostly a little bit over but sometimes below. Most coins are still cheap to buy.

I updated my spreadsheet so it now also shows negative/positive percents in the rightmost column. Easier to read. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you’re wondering why some columns appear sometimes and others another time, it’s because I hide them since they’re not essential to show here. Sometimes I forget to hide a column too. I even hide some of them for my own view, usually. I also hide everything that’s to the right of the wide vertical grey line before I show you, because that’s my own assets. :slight_smile:

But here they are, if you wondered. :slight_smile:

Edit: The Trezor column shows the coin support in Trezor for the coins I watch in my spreadsheet. There are four different statuses – Yes, ERC-20, Yes*, and No. In addition, I mark the status with green color if Trezor support them natively and also in Trezor suite(Yes and ERC-20). BSC and Yes* categories are supported by the Trezor device (here it means my Trezor model T), but you have to use 3rd party software to see and interact with them since they’re not supported by Trezor suite.

The SecuX and Ledger columns are my comparison of coin support vs Trezor T.

2 Likes

@Petosiris your list keeps getting better and better.

:ok_hand:

ps: not financial advice

2 Likes

Thanks, @rimaS. I plan to extend it with two more columns, 24h Low and 24h High.

Here are the overviews for yesterday and today:

Another thing, have you noticed that the Private Message function is gone today? Maybe Admin is changing something …

2 Likes

Bitcoin and Ethereum, among others, are still cheap.

I’ve included two new columns in the spreadsheet, regarding price – 24h Low and 24h High, and also moved the Token column to a better place.

In this view, I include the first column in my sheet, which is the coin/token symbol image. This has been part of the sheet from the beginning but I haven’t shown it before because the dark mode I use (browser plugin Dark Mode for Google) shows image colors inverted. I wish Google could implement dark mode in Google Docs … and all their other apps and websites too (Google Search has finally gotten dark mode though).

2 Likes

I wanted to pick up an issue from another forum thread about non-KYC DeFi exchanges, and discuss it here.

As it was mentioned in that thread there are some exchanges out there which don’t require you to go through a Know Your Customer (KYC) process. Robosats, Peach, Stealthex, Shapeshift and Bisq was mentioned. I have found all of them online.

Robosats    - https://learn.robosats.com/
Peach       - https://peachbitcoin.com/
Stealthex   - https://stealthex.io/
Shapeshift  - https://private.shapeshift.com/ or https://app.shapeshift.com/
Bisq        - https://bisq.network/
Sparrow     - https://sparrowwallet.com/

So far I’m still reading about and investigating them further, but I already see that a few don’t support Trezor through WalletConnect (although Ledger is often supported in WalletConnect). Others support exchanges like MetaMask (MM), but using an exchange to connect still leaves privacy concerns. I use MM today, connected to Uniswap, but I’m not happy with MM’s KYC so I’m looking for a non-KYC solution where I can connect my Trezor to.

Maybe there are options I haven’t discovered yet with the above mentioned non-KYC, so I’ll continue to read and try to see if there’s a way to connect my Trezor directly to them. Otherwise they’re not much different than Uniswap, which I already use – unless I buy a Ledger, which is not an option at this time.

Also, some requires you to register an account and login before you can swap coins, while others don’t.

Edit: Peach exchange presents a login dialog by default and no way to register … Not sure I found the correct site.

Edit: Updated to the correct URLs.

1 Like