First time connection to Metmask and some questions about PIN / passphrase

So I have my Trezor and decided it was time to try using it with Metamask, I watched the video and it all seemed easy to follow but then when in Metmask I click on “connect hardware wallet” then Trezor then export public key then it asked for my PIN but it would only accept 9 digits and my PIN is longer than that.

I tried a couple of times and the same result.

Then I contacted metamask support and they were asking about passphrases, I have this option ON in Trezor suite settings but only have a standard wallet so far. So in settings i turned passphrases OFF and then back ON and now when I connect to Metamask it asks for a passphrase but no PIN, is this normal?
After asking for the passphrase I can connect to my Trezor.

Why did it ask for a PIN originally but not now?
I have nothing on my Trezor so far so I cant lose anything I am just testing it out

I have Trezor suite installed on linux and was using Metamask in Chromium and Brave

Any idea?
thanks

Hi @pauliepants,

first, I would like to mention that you can enter PIN longer than 9 digits. Only the field with “dots” is only 9 digits long in Trezor Connect v8 (that MetaMask uses), so no more “dots” are added to the field after you enter the 10th (and next) digit. It is just a graphical representation, you can enter a PIN up to 50 characters long. Try entering the whole PIN correctly and you will see that it works.

The reason why it didn’t prompt you to enter a PIN when you disabled and enabled the passphrase feature is that you had your Trezor already unlocked from Trezor Suite. If you close Trezor Suite and reconnect your Trezor device, you will be asked for PIN also in MetaMask. PIN needs to be entered every time the device is locked.

In case you want to use a standard wallet (without a passphrase) make sure to keep the field for entering the passphrase absolutely empty (even without space as it is also a valid character). You can check that you are in the correct wallet by comparing the first ETH address you see in the list of addresses in the step “Select an account”. This ETH address should be the same as ETH address you see under your ETH account in Trezor Suite (in your standard wallet). The more detailed explanation can be found in this video: Using passphrase in Trezor Suite, MetaMask and other apps - YouTube