ETH Staking like you can ADA on Trezor

I see that you can Stake ADA on the Trezor but why can’t we Stake ETH? Is this something we may see in the future?

Hi @l3gacy304,

currently, there are no plans for ETH staking in Trezor Suite.

:disappointed: well that’s not what I wanted to hear.

1 Like

This is a shame, as I believe people will end up opting for Ledger devices and other non-custodial wallets if Trezor chooses not to implement ETH staking.

I look forward to seeing ETH staking on Trezor in the near future.

Good news mate. I discovered that you can stake using either the Lido or Rocket Pool stake pools via Metamask.

You need to download the Metamask app, which will then allow you to access your Trezor (go through ‘create wallet’, skip the private keys’ section and then it should come up with a hardware-wallet option.

Metamask tweeted this in a thread on Twitter (I can’t include the link here).

@radekP or any other Trezor rep should test this out for themselves, and then inform the Trezor community that ETH staking is now available via Trezor.

Yeah I would like to see Trezor rep give this a go. We need this!

Hi @CryptoLogic,

it is important to understand that by staking ETH via MetaMask (with Lido or Rocket Pool), you don’t own private keys for your ETH anymore as you need to send them to these services. It means that you lose the main advantage of the HW wallet, which is absolute control over your assets (ownership of the private keys to the addresses where the funds are stored).

Simply put, it is not the same as if you stake Cardano. By staking Cardano you are still the owner of the private keys. This is not the case when staking ETH via MetaMask.

2 Likes

Ah, I did not know what. Is ADA the only one that will let you stake and still have full control of your keys?

Of the cryptocurrencies supported by Trezor, it is Tezos (XTZ). XTZ is supported only by Trezor Model T. XTZ involves delegating your stake to a validator, who is responsible for creating new blocks and validating transactions, but they never have access to your private keys or your tokens.

More information on support of Tezos (XTZ) can be found here: https://trezor.io/coins/detail/tezos