Does Trezor have secret addresses?

I sent coins (both Btc and Doge) from my old Trezor to my new Trezor but the coins went to an address that I can’t see on my Trezor (after looking on blockchair website) but I still had access to the coins and Trezor suite still showed me as having the coins the whole time. And I still had control over them because after I noticed this I moved the coins off the new Trezor and back onto the old one once I noticed on blockchair website that the address I sent them to had less coins than I sent).

I didn’t lose any coins (yet).

1 Like

Hi @Waxjob46,

There’s no “secret addresses” in Trezor, no.

Be sure to add the new coins to your wallet first, so you can see the new accounts in your new Trezor’s wallet. Basically, your new wallet should show the same accounts that’s in the old wallet.

Then, you simply generate a Receive address on your new Trezor’s account and send it to that address from Trezor Suite.

Always check and double check if the address is correct before you send any coins. Check the whole address, not only the first four and last four characters, for instance. If the address change before you send the transaction, you may have a PC virus made specifically made to alter Receive addresses to a hacker’s wallet. Have you scanned your PC recently for any viruses?

1 Like

I have Norton and scan with Malwarebytes. Also have Glasswire. Also use a separate computer that I only use for crypto.

Just to clarify…when I say secret addresses I mean that I sent a btc to the new wallet/new trezor at an address ending in d4 (for example) and it showed me in trezor suite that my balance was 1 btc on the new trezor (and the old one 0). Then I go on blockchair and find out that I don’t have 1 bitcoin on the address ending in d4 and that its only a quarter of that and that most of the btcs are on an address ending in e5. Weird because it says I have the WHOLE thing on Trezor suite. So I use Trezor suite to send it back to my old Trezor and it actually sends it to a singular address (my old address) as verified by blockchair.

Does Trezor auto create multiple addresses when receiving incoming coins. For example does it create a e5 address after it creates an d4 address?

Because that’s what it looks like. If it was scammers they would have ran off with the coins already.

1 Like

It could be intermediate transactions for inputs and outputs. BTC transactions sends all underlying subtransactions together, upto the amount you want to send, and all of them have to be checked before the blockchain is updated.

Then the transaction went through alright from one Trezor to the other Trezor?

1 Like

I didn’t lose any coins. I just found it strange that a new address was created automatically by something I don’t know what or for what reason. It did this for both doge and bitcoin.

1 Like

And the transaction went fine…so far.

2 Likes

Hi @Waxjob46,

I would like to put your mind at ease, there is nothing as secret addresses, your funds are in so-called change address.

Bitcoin is UTXO (unspent transaction output) based cryptocurrency. It means that when you send a transaction the whole amount you have on the specific output is used, the desired part of this amount is sent to the desired address and the rest is sent back to your wallet, to so-called change address.

You can see this on every blockchain explorer, for example here: https://btc1.trezor.io

Here you can see an example:

In this example, the 0.00096186 BTC was sent back to change address which is different from the original address.

You can see all change addresses used in your BTC account if you export XPUB of this account to the blockchain explorer. The change addresses can be recognized by their derivation paths which are in format m/XX’/0’/0’/1/0. Information on how to display XPUB of an account can be found here: https://trezor.io/learn/a/trezor-suite-app-public-keys-xpub

You can find more information on UTXO model here: UTXO Model: Definition, How It Works, and Goals

3 Likes